General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS light stays on 2005 Accord lx

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ABS light stays on 2005 Accord lx

Hi all, the abs light was on intermittently yesterday but now is permanently on. Is it a failed sensor? Any cheap fix I should try before taking it to a shop? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure if places like autozone scan for codes. Check the simple stuff, fluid, ect. Then without the codes it is hard to say what the issue is or what it will take to repair it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I did some searching and found following:

1) Most said that 2003-2007 requires Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to extract the codes.

2) However one post at nasioc.com (post 27302547) suggests that shorting the correct pin of the "green connector" at driver's kick panel will cause the ABS light to blink the code,.. as was formerly the case.

3) I looked at my 2003-2007 Honda Accord Shop Manual and found no guidance on extracting codes other than Honda HDS. I reviewed the connector pin definitions (16 pin Obd2 connector at driver's kick panel) and found only one pin which communicates w/ the HDS). It was K-line (pin 7). Pin 7 is the 2nd pin from right on upper row looking at terminal side of female terminals (car side). Pin 7 could be jumpered to Pin 4 or 5 (grounds) on same upper row. Pins are numbered L-R as you look at them. Pin 1 on extreme L and Pin 8 on extreme right. Shorting these two together and turning keyswitch On may do nothing ( I have no knowledge that codes can be extracted w/ this procedure). In other words, you would be experimenting on your car. It could go badly wrong (damage the ABS controller). Most computers are happy w/ shorted or open comms line so this should not cause a problem, but I can't be sure.

4) Look for a shop specializing in Honda repairs and ask them for codes. Expect to pay.

good luck

Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

#2...
Nasioc is for Subarus. Having had one, there's a couple "green connectors" under there in addition to the OBD-2 data port. Those extra green connectors won't be found in your Honda.

I think any old generic OBD-2 code reader will connect the proper pins when you plug it in. So in addition to reading the CEL codes on the display of the device, it might just cause the ABS lamp in the cluster to blink out the code.

If so, then go by the ABS codes that are in the Honda shop manual. The flashing light codes would be listed in parentheses along side the HDS code display. I don't have my 2003-06 Accord Helm book any more, but I remember them being listed like that.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks all for the advice. I took it to a friend's shop, ran the diagnosis and found out the front right speed sensor failed. The weird thing is the ABS light comes on only after a minute of driving, not when the car is cold started. In any case, looks like I'll need to replace it but I'm not sure if I should stick with OEM. I checked that Dorman makes and sells the part for half the price of OEM. Any experience with the brand or aftermarket electrical parts in general? I can be persuaded either way. Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 PM

If you have the time pull the sensor from the wheel knuckle and clean. Leave wire in place. Stuff a rag into the sensor hole and turn the axle a few times to clean the tone ring. This worked for me on a BMW w/ bad wheel sensor. Grease/dirt degrade the signal generated by the sensor.

good luck

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is that why the abs light doesn't come on right away? a dirty connection?

Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Probably the voltage output is marginal and may be worse at times. This would more likely take some time for the ABS controller to recognize and set the code. Speculation on my part.

How was your friend able to get the codes? Did he have a Honda HDS or other ABS scanner?

good luck

Old 04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yea the shop where he works has the scanner with the honda software. any opinion on aftermarket vs. oem sensor?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

The ABS light doesn't come on because each time you start the car, it waits until you drive a little bit before it has any signal from the wheel sensors.

Those sensors are magnetic, & maybe there's a bunch of metal shavings sticking to it. Like Texas said, take out the sensor & have a look.

Quick Reply: ABS light stays on 2005 Accord lx