General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Exclamation AC

Hello all i have a question on my ac. Wen the ac is turned on the compresir clicks engages and the fans both go on at the same time. The ac compreor will click off (aftter about 10 seconds) and the fans both go off also. The cooling fan relay seems to click at the same time so im asuming its good. What can i check on the sistem to fix the problem im some what nolegeble on diagrams and electricol so I would like to fix it my self if posible. Any tips or help will be apresiated by me and my wife, no need to say more. Thank you for ur time Paco

Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

What year, model, etc of accord do you own?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure of the year. Could be low on freon (134a, R12 if its really old). Does it try to cycle back on when this happens. Have you tested the high and low side pressures.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Hi sorry about that I have a 1997 honda 4 cilinder v-tech not sure of the modol because it has been debadged all the way around. I resently bought the car and i was told by the previous owner that he never used the ac. I have cheked the termal switches i red here that that might be the problem they both sem to work fine. The main problem comes wen i turn the ac switch on the ac compresor engages the fans both come on and after about 5-10 seconds the fans both come off and the compresor clicks off aswell. this probles hapends over and over like it want to engage but it keeps on turning off. 1 could it be a bad relay that the coil on it is failing and their for its disengaging. 2 one of the termal switches are bad and its causing this. 3 the coling sistem is low and not fully charges

I have NOT checked the hi/low side yet should i take it and get it checked i know that the ac can be an expensive fix so im traing to fix it my self, befor i take it to a shop

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quick cycles like what you describe "this probles hapends over and over like it want to engage but it keeps on turning off" makes me think/believe the system ac is low on 134a. I'd jump to checking the pressures, I think some places rent gauges?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would definitely check the pressures.

If the pressure checks ok, then you will probably have to do some electrical troubleshooting.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what state do you reside in ??how high is the ambient temp??you sure it is only about 10 seconds??
a/c cycling on and off is normal,,,, the timing depends on the ambient temp and of course if system is properly filled ..
when a/c cycles on ,both fans will come on as well as compr clutch engages..\
when a/c cycles off ,both fans will turn off as well as compr clutch dis engages

Old 08-26-2010, 01:02 PM

i live in suthern ca the tempreture varies alot but lately it has been in the hi 90s. the clutch only engages for abot 10 seconds then it turns off and the fans go off also. Wen that hapends it starts siclying over and over and it makes the car engine sake a lot also. if i let the ac switch on the sicle will continew over and over till i dis engage the switch. The fuces to the fans are ok.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Short cycles might be from being over-charged? The high-pressure side gets too high too quickly, shutting it off by a pressure safety-switch.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 AM

Thanks to all that gave me advice on this. I whas at a lost so i decided to take it and get it checked, it turend out to be a bad condenser it has a crack so i need to replace it befor it will work. the cicling was do to under chargeing so i was told by the shop. I will post my final outcome as soon as i replace the condencer and re charge sistem