General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC blowing but not cooling down

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Default AC blowing but not cooling down

Hi,
I have an Honda Accord 2008 and the AC is not cooling down. I already check and the compressor looks like is working, the pressure on the Free on is good. The fans are working good and the system responds good, the only problem is that DOES NOT COOL down the air. The heater works great.
Any clue?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Does the compressor clutch plate spin with the pulley when you turn the compressor on?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM

No, the pulley rotates but the center of the compressor dont! I guess thats bad!
Its cost a lot to get it replace?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

You really should diagnose the problem before assuming the compressor is bad.
The problem can be anywhere from the a/c switch through the wiring/relays, etc... to the compressor itself. A volt meter and some simple tests can help narrow down the problem.

Do both fans bolted to the radiator turn on when you start the engine and turn on the a/c in your car?

Do you have a volt meter and a know how to check for 12V and if a wire has ground?

Blindly replacing the compressor is a bad idea and could waste a lot of money. Also do NOT go out an buy one of those R-134a kits with the small gauge and blindly add R-134a to your a/c system. I am sure there are threads advising to charge or top off the a/c system.That is a bad idea without doing some detailed pressure checks.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM

Yes, I do have a volt meter and im familiar with electronics. I just never deal with A/C before. A little guidance is appreciated!

-Yes, both fans work.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First check the single wire to the compressor for 12V when AC switch is on and fans are on.

If you have 12V, clutch gap or clutch coil are likely faults.

If you don't have 12V, AC relay, pressure switch are next things to check.

good luck

Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM

I need help here.
I took the car to an AC shop. They cant figure out what is wrong. The AC started working again, but just sometime. At this point we dont know if is the compressor or something electrical. The problem is that the clutch is not engaging and sometime, if I keep pressing the on/off button many time then its start working. Sometimes work for the entire ride, others time just for few minutes and then stop, then on again and continues like that.
Any idea? Have anybody seeing a similar problem?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Intermittent response is typical of excess clutch gap, you need to confirm that clutch is getting 12V but not closing. This would eliminate an intermittent electrical component; relay, switch, thermostat.

good luck

Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 PM

Hi,
I measured the voltage getting to the compressor and it was between 4.7 V to 5 V.
Is there is a way that that compressor works with that voltage? I check the relay and I overpass the relay using a piece of wire. I measured again and it was between 4.7 to 5 voltages. I measured the resistance of the relay and it was around 160 ohms.
Not sure if this isolate any of the problems. And if the 5 voltages is wrong, what else can be?

Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 PM

On my accord I have to pop the hood and turn the valve by hand behind the engine if I want max cooling. The wire doesn't get it all the way.

Quick Reply: AC blowing but not cooling down