General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC compressor connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
zef
Default AC compressor connector

Car model: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6

The AC in my car is not working because the connector from the compressor to the engine is broken. The connector (highlighted in image) connects the green wire with the black wire. Both the connectors are broken (male and female).

Can you suggest how to fix it? I have been trying to find this connector but no luck. The repair shop is quoting $100 for fixing it!

Is there a part number for the connector? Where can I find it? Is it necessary to have this connector or can I just attach those two wires directly?

Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails AC compressor connector-compressor.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

The connector is not sold separately. If you want the identical connector, best bet is a salvage yard. They may not sell just the compressor side connector if the compressor is still good.

Of course you can connect the wires directly. You can use any type of matching male and female connectors if you wanted to be able to connect and disconnect quickly. A single butt connector would work too.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-17-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

The Honda electrical circuit diagram only show a gray 1P wire connector for the compressor. On the female OEM compressor side, it should be a Lt Blu wire. On the male harness connector side, it should be a red power wire.

Ground is from the base of the compressor.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Like redbull-1 said, if you want crimp the wires together and tape. If I can recall, its more of a connector because the compressor may need to be removed/replaced.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:15 PM
zef

redbull-1: I bought the car used, so it is possible the wires are not OEM, and therefore different colors than the electrical diagram you mentioned.

Thanks to both of you for prompt responses.

On a related note, if I crimp and tape the wires, how can I confirm that it is working? Freon is low so the compressor might not start. I need the connection to be able to fill up the freon.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If refrigerant level is adequate, the hi/lo pressure switch will close enabling the compressor. You can check the hi/lo pressure switch contacts for continuity (adequate pressure) or if open, the pressure is too low to enable compressor.

AC hi/lo pressure switch appears to be on the receiver/drier in front of the condensor, pax side.

The refrigerant pressure in a new can is adequate to create enough charge (heat w/ hot water to improve charging) to enable the compressor briefly and continue the charge. No need to jumper the AC relay.

If refrigerant level is zero pressure, you should start by replacing receiver/drier (contaminated w/ moisture from atmosphere) and vacuuming before charging into vacuum.

good luck

Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just replaced the compressor on my car and the new Denso had a different shaped plug than the existing one so I had to snip the plug off and direct wired it. I have the connector you are looking for with approx. 6" of pigtail coming off of it. You can have it if I can find it. I know I didn't toss it but exactly where I put it is the question. I'll look for it today and post back when I put my hands on it and have it ready to mail to you.

Steve

Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
zef

Thanks to all the help and recommendations. I was able to disconnect the broken connector and crimp the wires together over the weekend. Refilled the Freon and have a working AC!

Steve,
Thanks for the offer, but I already snipped the wire and direct wired it.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No worries mate. Glad you got her fixed. Stay frosty!