General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC intermittently won't respond to on/off button - 2006 Accord EX 4cyl

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Default AC intermittently won't respond to on/off button - 2006 Accord EX 4cyl

I've got a 2006 Accord that is in overall great shape. The only quirk I noticed that began this summer is that the AC will randomly/intermittently get stuck "on" even though the LED on the A/C dash button is off. Here's the twist: when I turn the fan speed all the way off, I believe I can feel the engine load ease up (suggesting the AC *can* disengage, it's just not doing so in accordance with the LED push button).

I've never had an issue with the AC turning on when I push the button (ie getting stuck "off"). It has only gotten stuck on and refused to turn off (ie getting stuck "on"). It's my wife's car so I don't have all the first hand experience with it, but I drive it enough.

Any suggestions on what may be going bad, or what I should inspect to fix it?

FYI - I pulled the AC clutch relay, and it seems to be good. I was able to cycle it 50-100 times slowly & very quickly on my 12vDC bench power supply without so much as a hiccup, so I'm guessing that's OK.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you turn fan off and back on, does AC resume running or stay disengaged?

Have you checed for HVAC DTC's?

1) Turn ignition switch Off
2) Turn Fan switch OFF
3) Set temp control to Max Cool, then push mode button to select Vent
4) Turn ignition switch ON
5) Press and hold recirculation button
6) While holding button down, press the rear window defogger button 5 times in 10 seds. The recirculation indicator will blink 2 times, the self diagnosis will begin.

Recirculation indicator will flash DTC's 1-6, DTC 7 or 8 indicates evap temp sensor circuit fault.
If no DTC's, the recirc indicator will not blink.

Looking a wiring diagram the Audio/HVAC Display Panel is component and AC switch is not shown, so how it's latched (electrically or mechanically) when pressed is not clear. A used audio/HVAC panel may be necessary to repair.

good luck

Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
When you turn fan off and back on, does AC resume running or stay disengaged?
yes, it seems to obey the fan on/off just fine, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Have you checked for HVAC DTC's?
I haven't pulled the HVAC DTC's yet. All of the directions I've seen explain how to do this with a system that has dual climate control, whereas mine is single zone without temperature LED digits in the radio display unit. Do your directions above work for the more basic single zone setup (where fan speed control is left **** and temp control is right ****)?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The picture associated w/ these directions is simple control system. Nothing in directions requires ATC, so give it a try.

good luck