General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC is out...what do i do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Default AC is out...what do i do???

2003 Honda Accord Ex V6

A/C went out. Took it to dealership, first they said it would be $130 for the evac & recharge, then they came back and said the hose was leaking freon, another $205 to replace...they sent me away in a rental car and 2hours later called back to say the compressor is out so ADD another $700 to the bill! I paid for the hose and evac and recharge $356, and walked away WITHOUT any A/C in 106 degree temps in Georgia!! What should I do?? I feel like I've been taken, but I'm afraid to drive in this hot weather with leather seats and NO A/C...ANY advice would be great.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

You can try contacting someone with real authority at the dealership and explaining the problem and see if they would refund part of what you paid or apply it toward the compressor replacement or repair. It actually may not need the whole compressor replaced.

FWIW, although many people will say the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is mostly ineffective, you can also contact them. The BBB may act on your behalf by sending a letter to the dealership and be able to get you a partial refund. Some dealerships take the BBB accreditation seriously, you even see some dealership having the BBB accredited business logo on their website. -- You have nothing to lose by trying.

Alternative is to go to an independent shop and get a re-manufactured or used compressor put in, if it really was the compressor. However, many times on your model year Accord, it is the "field coil" aka "clutch coil" that is faulty instead of the whole compressor.

See these links regarding the "prime suspect" that fails in the compressor:
Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Problem with Heat/AC on 2003 Honda Accord EX
A/C Field Coil replacement guide - AcuraZine Community

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

A new field coil (stator set), Honda part #38924-RCA-A01 list for $109.15, internet Honda dealer price is around $79 plus shipping.

For the whole compressor, Honda part #38810-RCA-A01, I find remanufactured units for around $174 from sellers such as acpartshouse.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You can try contacting someone with real authority at the dealership and explaining the problem and see if they would refund part of what you paid or apply it toward the compressor replacement or repair. It actually may not need the whole compressor replaced.

FWIW, although many people will say the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is mostly ineffective, you can also contact them. The BBB may act on your behalf by sending a letter to the dealership and be able to get you a partial refund. Some dealerships take the BBB accreditation seriously, you even see some dealership having the BBB accredited business logo on their website. -- You have nothing to lose by trying.

Alternative is to go to an independent shop and get a re-manufactured or used compressor put in, if it really was the compressor. However, many times on your model year Accord, it is the "field coil" aka "clutch coil" that is faulty instead of the whole compressor.

See these links regarding the "prime suspect" that fails in the compressor:
Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Problem with Heat/AC on 2003 Honda Accord EX
A/C Field Coil replacement guide - AcuraZine Community

Thanks for the advice. I have plans to take it to an independent repair shop tomorrow because he said the same thing you said, that it may not be the compressor. I will definitely follow up with the dealership's manager to see if they will refund part of my money. Otherwise, I will have to contact the BBB because it doesn't seem right for me to spend $356 and the A/C still isn't fixed.

Thanks Again!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

No problem.

A lot of people will tell you BBB can't do much; however, one of my brother-in-laws got refunds twice back from two separate auto repair shops after BBB contacted the businesses.