Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   AC temp control knob won't go full cold (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/ac-temp-control-knob-wont-go-full-cold-36896/)

wunderbra 12-19-2010 04:37 PM

AC temp control knob won't go full cold

My 97 EX ac works well, but the temp knob will not stay at the full cold position. It kinda springs back towards hot. Result is that some heated air gets mixed with cold air. I can pop the little cover on the passenger side of the console and pull the cable to full cold, and it will stay there. But if I move it to hot later, it will not stay in full cold the next time. This is a problem in south Texas where it can be 40 at night and 80 during the day. What is the fix for this?

JimBlake 12-19-2010 09:34 PM

With that little cover open, you might have to work the controls to decide whether the problem is excessive friction or a kink in the cable? If so you might need a new cable.

Other mechanical problems I think you'll have to see what you can by watching it operate.

poorman212 12-20-2010 07:51 PM

Isn't the procedure two parts? I thought, memory the manual is the proper place, you needed to adjust BOTH cables. The piece under the dash is the connector between the blend door and the actual heater control valve....where is kris l when you need him.....section 21-25 in the manual downloaded from the DIY section has the procedure.

PAhonda 12-20-2010 10:14 PM

I also sprayed the valve in the engine bay that is moved by the cable with some PB Blaster (WD40 would work too). It helped free up the dial.

wunderbra 12-21-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 224780)
I also sprayed the valve in the engine bay that is moved by the cable with some PB Blaster (WD40 would work too). It helped free up the dial.

Did you spray the cable or the end? Where is this located?

JimBlake 12-21-2010 11:38 AM

I believe there's one cable going from the temperature knob down to the air-mix door. Then a second cable from there out to the water valve in the engine compartment. Not sure what adjustment there is, I never had a 97.

Anyplace in that stuff, there could be something stuck, or kinked, or needing lubrication, or something.

poorman212 12-21-2010 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes there are two cables as described. Again, page/section 21-25 of the manual has the procedure.

wunderbra 12-27-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 224873)
Yes there are two cables as described. Again, page/section 21-25 of the manual has the procedure.

Thanks poorman. I don't have the manual. The pages you scanned came out too small to really see the picture well, but I can read the text. Is there some way you could email them to me, or post on a photo sharing site?

EXV6NIGHTHAWK 12-27-2010 11:17 AM

Your temperature control knob is probably cracked (if the knob is the same as 4th gen). I learned, after breaking two knobs, that if you turn the knob halfway (don't force it), let the cable free itself, then turn the rest of the way, you will not crack the knob. The cable flexes, and binds up, if you turn the knob too fast, but it will loosen if you release the pressure or turn the knob slowly.

wunderbra 12-28-2010 07:41 AM

Found a copy of the manual and will give it a try, Thanks all.