General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC temp control knob won't go full cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Default AC temp control **** won't go full cold

My 97 EX ac works well, but the temp **** will not stay at the full cold position. It kinda springs back towards hot. Result is that some heated air gets mixed with cold air. I can pop the little cover on the passenger side of the console and pull the cable to full cold, and it will stay there. But if I move it to hot later, it will not stay in full cold the next time. This is a problem in south Texas where it can be 40 at night and 80 during the day. What is the fix for this?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

With that little cover open, you might have to work the controls to decide whether the problem is excessive friction or a kink in the cable? If so you might need a new cable.

Other mechanical problems I think you'll have to see what you can by watching it operate.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't the procedure two parts? I thought, memory the manual is the proper place, you needed to adjust BOTH cables. The piece under the dash is the connector between the blend door and the actual heater control valve....where is kris l when you need him.....section 21-25 in the manual downloaded from the DIY section has the procedure.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I also sprayed the valve in the engine bay that is moved by the cable with some PB Blaster (WD40 would work too). It helped free up the dial.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I also sprayed the valve in the engine bay that is moved by the cable with some PB Blaster (WD40 would work too). It helped free up the dial.
Did you spray the cable or the end? Where is this located?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I believe there's one cable going from the temperature **** down to the air-mix door. Then a second cable from there out to the water valve in the engine compartment. Not sure what adjustment there is, I never had a 97.

Anyplace in that stuff, there could be something stuck, or kinked, or needing lubrication, or something.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yes there are two cables as described. Again, page/section 21-25 of the manual has the procedure.

Attached Thumbnails AC temp control knob won't go full cold-cable-adjust.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes there are two cables as described. Again, page/section 21-25 of the manual has the procedure.
Thanks poorman. I don't have the manual. The pages you scanned came out too small to really see the picture well, but I can read the text. Is there some way you could email them to me, or post on a photo sharing site?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Your temperature control **** is probably cracked (if the **** is the same as 4th gen). I learned, after breaking two *****, that if you turn the **** halfway (don't force it), let the cable free itself, then turn the rest of the way, you will not crack the ****. The cable flexes, and binds up, if you turn the **** too fast, but it will loosen if you release the pressure or turn the **** slowly.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Found a copy of the manual and will give it a try, Thanks all.

Quick Reply: AC temp control knob won't go full cold