General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC weird problem. AC professional can't fix it

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Might check for codes on the HVAC unit.

Turn the key to on(II) from off (0).

Press and hold the OFF button, then within 10 seconds press and release the REAR WINDOW Defogger/Mirror Defogger button five times. Release the OFF button.

From there if there is an issue the temp will light up all of the segments of the temp display and either or both the AC and Auto AC will light up. From there the "code" will display, note which segment of the temp displays and which light (Auto or AC On) is on.

Let us know what you find.

Could be a sensor or blend door motor causing the issue.
I appoligize for the late reply. I think you have mistaken my car with other one because I can't hold to "off". I have two ***** to regulate temperature. Unless you talking about other "off"

Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You may be overcharged now and when system temps increase, the Hi pressure cut-out switch is opening the compressor.

do you intend to repair yourself?

good luck
If it's complex repair then not. But if this will be as simple as to release some freon then why not
Also should I trust the AC Pro pressure gage? It shows me that the low side do not have enough freon.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A single low side pressure gauge is not adequate to distinguish charge level or other faults.

good luck

Old 07-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I thought maybe it's the cycling switch?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Pysiek
I appoligize for the late reply. I think you have mistaken my car with other one because I can't hold to "off". I have two ***** to regulate temperature. Unless you talking about other "off"
Have a pic of your 08 unit?

I think I "assumed" you have Auto HVAC....sorry.

So try this:
1) From off (0) and then to On (II)
2) Set the fan control to OFF, the Temperature Control dial to Max Cool, and select VENT mode.
3) Turn the ign to lock (0) and then to On (II)
4) Press and hold the Recirculation Control button, then within 10 seconds press and release the Rear Window/Morror Defogger button five times. Release the Recirculation Control button: the recirculation light should blink twice and then the self-diagnotic begins
5) The blower motor may run at different speeds, part of the test. From there if there is a code the recirculation light/indicator blinks - the number of blinks is the code. If there is more than one code, they goe from lowest to highest.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Guys I cannot stand this anymore (close to 100F in Chicago)so I went to honda dealer. They check the freon level and it was a pound less then it should be. They recharge it add a die to it in case it leaks somewhere. Today the index is 105F so after work I will check it out and see if it will work fine right now.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'd want my $40 back from the first "shop" that checked it.....sorry, assumed they would have checked the pressures and noticed they were not right.

Then, just me here, I'd also question the dealer as well. Ask the service manager what the total capacity of the AC system is.....the manual I have (think it only covers the 4 cyl?) has it at .9 to 1 lbs....so according to the dealer it was totally empty?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think you're right. About one pound sounds reasonable. You never know if the dealer is right or not so basically we have to do whatever they say.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

that system only holds 1 pound of refrigerant, sounds like the first shop took your money and/or you have a very big leak somewhere. regardless something is not kosher.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had problems with a couple ac units and decided I would use my google degree to fix it ..

Go to the laargest Autozone near and you can rent the vaccume and gauges for like 271 bucks total refund when you bring them back. At least then you know what you have and have to take no ones word for it.

and if you need refrig.. Big lots has it for 8 bucks a can

Quick Reply: AC weird problem. AC professional can't fix it