General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 03 EX Navi - air conditioning stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord 03 EX Navi - air conditioning stopped working

Hello -

Have noticed my air conditioning in my 03 Accord gradually stop working. When I first turned it on in April it didn't come on, but I noticed that if I left it on it would eventually start working. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it - it would all of a sudden just start blowing cold air.

(I noticed that just before the cold air kicked in a bad smell would come through the vents, then the cold air. Don't know if that fact is meaningful or not.)

My wife and I went on a trip to New Orleans and it worked all the way down, but after we got there it wouldn't come on at all. Actually, it did come on while we were in traffic in the French Quarter. However, it stopped blowing cold air after about a minute, and never came back on.

When I turn the car on, I get plenty of air coming out of the vents. It will vary with how low or high I set the temperature relative to the temperature on the outside.

I tried running the diagnostic tests in these threads. When I pressed the AUTO button, held it, and then pressed the OFF button and held it, nothing happened except the A/C system turned off.

I did try running the other diagnostic (where you press the rear heater button 5 times), and it started running a test where the HVAC went from LO for a few seconds to HI for a few seconds, and then just stopped. No codes, no nothing.

One more thing - When I get in the car and put the key in and turn it to "II" I notice some soft noise coming out of the vents. It sounds like something is turning, moving, or trying to do either one. It's not loud, but soft and stops after a few seconds (like, maybe 10 or so).

Would appreciate anyone's help. If it's an easy fix, I'd like to do it myself. I just got passed 300K miles on the NOLA trip and would like to keep the car because it runs so well!

Thanks!

Mike

Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Start the engine with the a/c off. The clutch plate on the a/c compressor pulley should not spin.

Turn on a/c. Both fans on the radiator should turn on. Also the clutch plate will also spin.

Let us know what happens when the a/c blows cold air and stops with the fans and the clutch.

Be careful when looking at the clutch plate, because it is down low in the engine bay. You don't want to get your hands or clothing caught on the belts or any other moving parts. You may also need a flash light to see the clutch plate easier.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Where exactly is the ac compressor? If I'm standing in front of the car with the hood up, is it on my right (actual left side of the engine)?

Thanks...

Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Scratch that last message, I am almost certain I found it. Standing in front of the car, it's down low on my LEFT side. It's attached to the low and high side lines marked with an L and H respectively. If that's wrong, let me know.

I turned on the engine with the ac off and neither radiator fan turned. The belt on the ac compressor was turning, but what I'm assuming is the clutch on the very end of the unit (my left side) didn't move.

When I turned on the ac, both radiator fans spun up but the compressor clutch did not. It wasn't moving. And at this point, there isn't any cold air coming out of the vents at any time. During an 8 hour road trip a few days ago not a single bit of cold air came out of the vents.

Mike

Last edited by mbarry; 06-27-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

You found it. I'm pretty sure the AC compressor is the only component where the outboard surface of the "pulley" does NOT spin when the AC is turned off. That's really the AC clutch assembly surrounding the pulley itself.

Probably there's 3 studs or something like a triangle pattern on that outer face of the "pulley". When the AC is turned off, the pulley itself freewheels & does not spin the actual compressor shaft. When the AC is turned on, it's SUPPOSED to engage the clutch & then that face with the 3 studs will begin spinning.

Another simple check....
There's a single wire plugged into that compressor/clutch. Is it broken or unplugged?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As far as I can tell, the wire is intact. Looks like it's not broken or unplugged.

I reached down and moved the clutch a bit, and it does turn. Don't know if that means anything or not.

So, am I correct in thinking that I need to have the entire compressor replaced? What about having a shop check the refrigerant, because I've heard that the clutch won't engage if the refrigerant is low. The car has 300K miles on it...never had a problem with the ac in the past.

Last edited by mbarry; 06-27-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

You still have some more testing to do. The problem could be from the PCM that turns on the compressor, to the compressor. There are still some basic tests you can try.

Now you need to determine if the compressor is getting power when you turn on the a/c. Your compressor may have more than one wire going to it. Using a volt meter, the blu/red wire should have 12V to ground.

If you know how to check for closed circuit, you can unplug the pressure switch and try testing the switch to verify that the circuit is closed. Alternatively, you could briefly jump the pressure switch electrical connector and see if the clutch plate engages. The pressure switch will be the only item on the piping to the compressor that has something plugged into it.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

if it does turn out that you have a bad clutch, i just wanted to give you a heads up about a smokin' deal RockAuto.com has on a brand new OEM Denso compressor w/clutch assy, expansion valves, receiver/dryer and o-ring, seal, gasket kit.
The complete kit is only $199.00. The reason I know this is because I just ordered one today for my car due to a failed clutch assy.
By comparison, the clutch assy. will run you about $150.00 + shipping - JUST FOR THE CLUTCH ASSY.!
You can see the value of this complete kit. Another very nice added bonus is they set up the shipping on this kit to be only about $25.00 for next day delivery! This is a big deal for me here in AZ.

Good luck with your situation. Hopefully, it's just the relay or a disconnected wire.
Unfortunately, it's pretty safe to assume that the odor you noticed was the clutch coil burning out. I had the same smell when mine went a few days ago only, mine went from working and blowing nice and cold to instantly filling the cabin with that horrible smell and BAM !! No more AC.

Congrats on the 300,000 mile mark! That's impressive and outstanding at the same time!

Regards,
Steve

Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Also, check under-hood Fuse No. 12 (7.5A) to make sure the fuse for the A/C compressor clutch relay is not blown.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:52 AM

If the compressor clutch clearance is too much, some people have simply removed a shim or two, to reduce the clearance, and this solved their problem. If you can remove the clutch without disconnecting/discharging the system, you can save loads of cash. That is, if you don't have the tools to vacuum and recharge the system. I chickened out, and got the dealership to replace the clutch and stator, at a cost of $650. There is very limited space to work, so I was not confident enough to try removing the clutch with the compressor in the car. The compressor was still good, and it's been working fine, now 4 years later. Good luck, with whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: Accord 03 EX Navi - air conditioning stopped working