Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   accord 2000 2.0L ATF flush (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/accord-2000-2-0l-atf-flush-65607/)

Eran Teitelbaum 03-26-2018 08:37 AM

accord 2000 2.0L ATF flush

hello
i'd like to flush the fluid in the tranny, but the fluid is sold over here only in quarts, and since the manual says to flush 4 times it's gonna cost over $250!
so i thought to go the garage and have it sucked- is it allowed or possible?
thanks

irhunter 03-26-2018 09:01 AM

How many miles on the car? How has the AT been maintained up until this point?

My take is, the big risk of power flush is they almost always use some sort of universal fluid...not Honda-specific fluid. Hondas are notoriously sensitive to incorrect-fluid problems.

I like a simple drain/fill every 30k miles...using fluid from the dealer.

shipo 03-26-2018 09:01 AM

Flush four times? Never heard that before, typically Honda/Acura folks do what is referred to as a 3x3 (drain/refill three quarts three times).

FWIW, I have an oil extractor which I use on my 2001 Accord 3.0 V6 transmission, because of obstructions in the transmission, I am only able to suck out two quarts at a time, so every 30,000 miles or so I do what I call a 2x2 (two quarts drained and refilled twice).

Regarding having a power flush done, do NOT do it; a dead transmission is an almost sure result of such a procedure.

JimBlake 03-26-2018 09:53 AM

If you have it sucked out, that's about the same as what Shipo describes. That won't get the fluid to drain out of the torque converter, and therefore you only remove about 1/3 of the total fluid. That's the reason to drain/fill 3 or 4 times.

But that's only if the fluid has been allowed to get real dirty. If the fluid looks pretty clean on the dipstick, I'd just drain/fill it once, but drain it into a clean pan. Look at the fluid. Look for any sludge in the bottom of the pan. The only reason to do multiple drain/fill cycles is when you find crud coming out with the oil.

Then a reasonable thing is to drain/fill (once) every 30k miles or whatever interval results in the fluid draining out without too much crud.

Eran Teitelbaum 03-26-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 379800)
, typically Honda/Acura folks do what is referred to as a 3x3 (drain/refill three quarts three times).

That's what i meant.

shipo 03-26-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eran Teitelbaum (Post 379805)

That's what i meant.

So nine quarts is going to cost you $250? Yikes!

To JimBlake's point, what color is the ATF currently in your transmission?

Eran Teitelbaum 03-26-2018 11:13 AM

I saw only the fluid that came out of the cooler lines when i removed the radiator and it looked red.
I just want it to have the original fluid.

shipo 03-26-2018 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Eran Teitelbaum (Post 379808)
I saw only the fluid that came out of the cooler lines when i removed the radiator and it looked red.
I just want it to have the original fluid.

What makes you think you don't have the correct fluid?

Eran Teitelbaum 03-26-2018 05:29 PM

i just wanna be on the safe side.