General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord 2000 AT Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Rald
Unregistered
Default Accord 2000 AT Filter?

Hi to all! I have a 2000 Accord LX and would like to know if this model have a ATF filter, and if it does, where is located. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Accord 2000 AT Filter?

No filter

Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Rald
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply! Do you think that adding a filter, like the Magnafine, will help to avoidtranny problems eventuly, since these Accords have had so many problemson these matter.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Since that is the reason that I have a Scion now, I'm going to decline making a comment to that end.

2 weeks before my tranny died, I did 4 fluid changes with Honda ATF .... basically I boughta case and used it all. My tranny expert told me that the rubber lip seals in the tranny had died. I believe the seals failed because of the common bearing problem with the auto trannies. Prior to the 4 changes, I had the fluid changed once about 2 years earlier. The first change had a lot of sludge.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Rald

Thanks for the reply! Do you think that adding a filter, like the Magnafine, will help to avoidtranny problems eventuly, since these Accords have had so many problemson these matter.
Yea, adding an inline filter should help. Honda sends a filter kit with thier reman transmissions to improve longevity.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM

Chio .... given that the problem is a bad bearing, does it really help? In principle, I agree that a filter should help any application, but the bearing doesn't die from contaminants, it falls apart. I can see the tranny cooler helping to a degree, but after learning about the true cause of the failure, I don't really think that the filter or the cooler can prevent this.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Depending onhow itactually fails, a filter may be able to prolong a failing bearing by preventing it's own debris from getting back & causing faster damage.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Chio .... given that the problem is a bad bearing, does it really help? In principle, I agree that a filter should help any application, but the bearing doesn't die from contaminants, it falls apart. I can see the tranny cooler helping to a degree, but after learning about the true cause of the failure, I don't really think that the filter or the cooler can prevent this.
I didn't hear him say anything about a bearing being bad. I thought he was talking about putting one on a transmission that's in good working order to try to keep it that way.

True cause of the failure??? not sure I follow you there.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Rald's tranny is ok. Mine died. From the research that I did about the 6th gen tranny problem, it was caused by an inferior bearing that over time can fall apart ..... typically in the 70-125k range.

Theoretically, I agree that filtering out contaminants is always a good idea as well as keeping the fluid cool with a Hayden 403 cooler, but after researching the problem and finding that it is from a bearing that fails over time, I really don't see anything preventing or prolonging it from happening.

What I do think would help is something that nobody except racers do which is to mount an external electric oil pump to circulate the tranny fluid in the casing whenever the car is on including when it is not moving.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Rald's tranny is ok. Mine died. From the research that I did about the 6th gen tranny problem, it was caused by an inferior bearing that over time can fall apart ..... typically in the 70-125k range.
I assume you're talking about the differential bearings? That's not an across the board problem, I see very few of em anymore. I personally think most of the defective ones are off the street by now except for a few low mileage cars.

98-99 and some 2000 models had some of defective bearings, it was a small percentage. They're pretty easy to diagnose: They tend to make a growling noise around corners and the axle seals will leak from the extra movement in em. If you keep on driving them ignoring the leaks and noise they start to develop other issues like you said.

What I do think would help is something that nobody except racers do which is to mount an external electric oil pump to circulate the tranny fluid in the casing whenever the car is on including when it is not moving.
The stock transmissions already do that. Dont beleive me? Pull one of the cooler lines off while the engine is idling.

Quick Reply: Accord 2000 AT Filter?