General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord gear oil

Hello, I have 2003 Honda accord lx. 5 speed I need to top off the gear oil but I will probably just change it. however, I can not find anywhere what type of gear oil that it requires. Even the part stores computers cant tell me the specifics. It doesn't even give them anything to go on. So if someone could tell me what kind or a brand and part number that would be great. Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 PM

People on some forums swear by the GM Syncromesh fluid. The service manual says only to use Honda fluid, and doesn't give specifics. I think it takes 2 quarts.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 07-18-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Refer to owner's manual:

5-speed Manual Transmission Fluid
Honda Manual Transmission
Fluid preferred, or an SAE 10W-30
or 10W-40 motor oil as a
temporary replacement (see page 283).

Capacity:
2.0 US qt (1.9 )

Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've used 15W-40, Pennzoil Synchromesh and now Honda MTF in my 5 spds. The last two shift the best.
If I were in No Dakota with its bitter winters I'd use Pennzoil Synchromesh (easier shifting in cold) otherwise I'll go with Honda MTF.

Last edited by UhOh; 07-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the responses. Its funny everyone always seems to say refer to the owners manual, which I should but always seem to forget about that. Is the Honda mtf a dealer item only? Autozone and Advance doesn't carry it. I still need to check O'Reilly and KOI. I'm sure one of them have to have it.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM

My Accord is a 5mt also, it's a 2000. I use the Honda MTF Manual Transmission Fluid. I believe that in the older ones, they just used 10w30 oil. I change it every 60k miles. Simple to do and it does make a difference. Just pull off the right wheel and you will have access to the drain/fill plugs. Be sure to pull the fill plug first to be certain that you can put oil in after you drain it out. It takes about 15 minutes to do. I bought a hand pump from Harbor Freight, about $5.00 to fill the tranny up.

Last edited by Frugalhondaguy; 07-19-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by studders
Thanks for the responses. Its funny everyone always seems to say refer to the owners manual, which I should but always seem to forget about that. Is the Honda mtf a dealer item only? Autozone and Advance doesn't carry it. I still need to check O'Reilly and KOI. I'm sure one of them have to have it.

I don't think you can get Honda fluid from any of the parts stores. You can probably find good deals on it from eBay and Amazon, if you're willing to wait for it. Yes, read your owner's manual, there is a lot of information in there you might be surprised to learn about your car.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Frugalhondaguy
My Accord is a 5mt also, it's a 2000. I use the Honda MTF Manual Transmission Fluid. I believe that in the older ones, they just used 10w30 oil. I change it every 60k miles. Simple to do and it does make a difference. Just pull off the right wheel and you will have access to the drain/fill plugs. Be sure to pull the fill plug first to be certain that you can put oil in after you drain it out. It takes about 15 minutes to do. I bought a hand pump from Harbor Freight, about $5.00 to fill the tranny up.

I just bought a 2001 Accord LX, 5 speed manual stick shift, with 209K miles on it. I don't know when the transmission fluid was changed. Would it be safe for me to go ahead and change it? I heard about stories of changing an Automatic transmission fluid and then the tranny fails shortly afterwards. Would I have the same worries with the 5 speed manual? Thanks

Old 10-06-2014, 05:34 AM

If the car is shifting smooth then you can use Honda manual transmission fluid. If the car does shift smooth then we use one quart of BG Synchro Shift II and then fill the remaining amount with Honda MT fluid. Should be around two quarts total.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by coolaccord
I just bought a 2001 Accord LX, 5 speed manual stick shift, with 209K miles on it. I don't know when the transmission fluid was changed. Would it be safe for me to go ahead and change it? I heard about stories of changing an Automatic transmission fluid and then the tranny fails shortly afterwards. Would I have the same worries with the 5 speed manual? Thanks

You should be fine to change the GB oil, especially when you don't know the history on the car. Automatics are totally different and rely on valves, pressures, and other things. Manuals have a very robust gearbox.

Quick Reply: Accord gear oil