General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accord ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default accord ignition switch

i have a faulty switch on my accord. today i got a new switch, broke it down to the bare lock, replaced all my components onto the new lock but the car wont start. i took it all back off again and put it back where it was and the car started. why wont the new lock start the car, i first though it had to be programmed, but they are my components. any idaes please.

thanks

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the board. I moved this to the General Tech Help section.

What year is your car?

I am not fully understanding, when it didn't start with the replaced components, were you using a new key cylinder with a new key?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

the car is 1999, no i was using the key that came with the switch, it doesnt have any imobiliser on the key, it has a separtate key fob. when i replaced all of the components from the old to the new, the car would turn over but not start. at first i thought i may have left off a certain component that hold the signal, but all of the electrical components have been swapped rom the old to the new, so thechnically it should have started but it never. if you stripp down the switch to the basic lock, all the electrical components should all fit and the car should start ???????

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

The transponder on your generation Accord is inside the key, not the key fob.

The Immobilizer is not allowing you to start the car. You can temporarily tape the old key to the new key to get it started and drive to get the ECM/PCM programmed if you need to use the new key. -- See TSB and attached pic. of taping the keys together.

Honda Immobilizer

Attached Thumbnails accord ignition switch-temporary-key.jpg  
Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Unless there is also a problem with the key cylinder; for a faulty ignition switch, normally, there is no need to replace the key cylinder, just the electrical switch.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

that is my problem, if i change all the electrics for the new keyonto the old lock surely i have changed all the transponders with it. the old lock ws faulty so i replaced all the electrics from the new lock onto the old lock, the car should start. the transponder codes are in the electrics are they not???

thanks

Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

There is a "chip" inside the key that the PCM (car computer) is looking for. So if you have a new key, the PCM has to be programmed to "know" the new key.

Have you taped the two together as listed in one of the other posts?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

am i missing something here. its my undertsanding that all the transponder codes are in the key, i get that. so all the electrics off my old lock will recognise my old key. if i change the new electrics with the new key, then the transponder of the new key will recognise the new key, not the old one. the old key has a fob, so is the fob just for the central locking, it operates the imobilser too.
what have i not understood.

thenks

Old 07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chaza
am i missing something here. its my undertsanding that all the transponder codes are in the key, i get that. so all the electrics off my old lock will recognise my old key. if i change the new electrics with the new key, then the transponder of the new key will recognise the new key, not the old one. the old key has a fob, so is the fob just for the central locking, it operates the imobilser too.
what have i not understood.

thenks
The car' computer does not recognize the transponder chip code from the new key, it only recognize the old key transponder code. The new key's transponder code must be programmed into the car's computer for it to be recognized. Doesn't matter whether you changed the other electronic parts.

The old key's fob has nothing to do with the Immobilizer.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 AM

and take all the keys to be programed,all the key have to be programed at the same time

Quick Reply: accord ignition switch