General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord overheating......

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Default Accord overheating......

Ok, i'm a ****! and a noob, so bare with me.......i'm sure on my sig, it states what i have, but i'll put it here anyways......93 accord ex, AT..

history......last may/june(11) I was on my way to SF, smelled coolant, and my needle shot up to hot. Good thing i was about 2 miles from a Honda dealership, pulled over, let it cool, limped it to the dealership. Found a little hose witha pinhole, had to leave car, $100 dollars later, they replaced 3 hoses.....fun. Cars been fine....I took it in for the belts, timing chain, water pump, etc......around feb/mar of this year. All's been well....in the passed 2 mos, i'm having this over heating issue. I flush and filled my rad, purchased a new oem therm and gasket. Thinking this would fix. Upon replacement of the thermostat, I found that the housing was broken, so off to napa i ran as this was my only choice on a sunday afternoon. No i'm really excited because, i'm thinking old therm, bad therm housing, should do the trick, especially since i couldn't figure out where coolant was going, when i had my oil changed, they guy said, your car is hot, you should do a flush in fill...I can do this on my own, didn't need to pay $60 to him. Upsales! ha! Another thing, the fan (right side, if your drivers seat) comes on after parking car, short drive, long drive, don't matter, just that one fan. So i get everything put in, bled, yes therm with hole is facing up, with spring towards eng. Bled, filled, all's good! I din't know i was to wait for fans to come, my bad.....so i'm driving the car next day, it's a kind of hot day, i drove 20 miles, as i'm pulling off the fwy, my needle started climbing, i'm freaking, so i turn on heat and crank it, needle goes down, alls good.....now i'm pissed....i get home and start doing more reading. I come to realize that only 1 fan is coming on, so this am I did the jump the connect thing, from the switch/sensor on my therm housing. Still only 1 fan.....I have to do the power from bat directly to fan, but herre's another weird observation, when i check my overflow tank, it's full to the top, then of course after the car sits it get sucked back in...........is this normal? i'm going to do the fan test this weekend...but i'm worried about the coolant overflow issue...........sorry for the long rant........thanks for you all your pro insite/suggestions!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM

With the heater making a difference, I wonder about a plugged radiator. Got a IR thermometer? Drive the car, get totally up to temp, stop and check the temp of the radiator with the thermometer...looking for very-hot and cool areas.

Roy

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Bad fan motor because only one works when you jumper the fan switch. You've already figured that out.

Check for air in the cooling system. When it's cold, squeeze the radiator hoses. You should hear/feel the difference. If there's air, you'll hear & feel the sloshing of the liquid. There's a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing. Make sure you first run the engine with the heater set all the way to HOT. That way you don't get air hanging out in the heater core.

It's normal for water to move into the reservoir, then get sucked back in as the engine cools off. A bad radiator cap and/or little rubber hose, will allow air to get sucked back into the radiator leaving the reservoir full while the radiator gets air. So you should occasionally squeeze the hoses when cold, to check for that.

And a plugged radiator will often result in a noticably cool lower radiator hose. There's so little flow through the radiator that the water has plenty of time to cool off. But there's not nearly enough FLOW to cool the engine.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 AM

ok, help now, in my infinite wisdom, i wanted to take out the old a/c fan so that i could just replace the motor....somehow i guess i didn't plug the connector back in all the way, in 1 day it worked itself loose, and i guess went for a spin in the timing belt, the plastic waterproof connector part is gone, but the 2 plugs that were in it are still there, so i guess that's a good thing. Can I get that connector? AZ, Kragen? Napa? or is that honda only? 2nd problem, i guess when it went for it's spin, there's a single one wire sensor that's connected to the bottom right of the fan, it must have gotten pulled out, now i have the connector still connected to the fan with a wire, the other wire is loose, can I get that connecter as well, or is it honda only? what sensor is this second one? it looks like it comes off the bottom of the a/c if that's the a/c, I turned on the a/c and it still works. Thanks for your input....if you need a picture, i can put one up....

Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Default follow up pic.....

try this....
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

if you can see this pic, the connector to this is the one i destroyed, also on that lower part there's another sensor or some kind of single connector that goes there...........help

thanks!

Last edited by aloha_bruddah; 09-10-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: trying to show picture
Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Gee,

One thing then another.

First off, I would just call the fan the "driver's side fan" and not the a/c fan. And, your plug got munched by a drive belt, not the timing belt (which is well hidden).

I have had good luck finding plugs at NAPA. It would be best to yank the fan and take that in with you so to match the plug.

The lower single wire controls the A/C compressor clutch.

Also, if you can't find the exact plug, just buy the male and female halves of any plug and re-work the wires onto the new plug. The new plug would need to be able to handle the current involved...NAPA could certainly sell you the right stuff.

Roy

Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM

YEA my bad, i suck!! hahahaha.......well i went to Napa to get the 'motor', the one they gave me was the rad fan motor, which was waaaay to big, i then took out the driver side fan, and hauled it in with me. He laughs, that's not gonna work! Duh! So i had to get the whole fan assemble, since no one sells the motor by itself or not as a special order item, and the assembly was 75bux, the motor by itself is $70 with a 2 day wait...no big deal. I then asked about the plugs, the quick and dirty reply was "pick and pull" is your friend....so i'm off to pick and pull. I want water proof plugs altho i guess i could just get some at napa and be done with it......I looked at that single wire connector, and yes it was a whole, but like i said got pulled out, i turned on the AC it still works, I won't run it without the fan, but what does that wire do for the clutch? just asking! thanks......

Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 PM

another issue, i took off the bottom part road guard??? it's under the car, so i could get to that bottom screw, is it safe to drive with that off while i'm out part gathering??? Thanks!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you are ok with driving with the "splash sheild/under tray off". Some will leave it off, not what I would do but that is me.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM

o\k, thanks!

Quick Reply: Accord overheating......