General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord overheating......

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Didn't see the "single" wire in the pic....but I'm almost blind. My guess from the general area is that might be the power wire (12v) for the ac clutch ?????

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM

thanks, that's what someone said earlier, I turned on the a/c and it still worked, so I have no clue......I won't run the a/c until i get this fan fixed.....if it's not connected, what's the clutch do?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Can you tell us the wire color of the single wire that got pulled out?

Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 AM

I believe it's red........i'll double check that tomorrow....

Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 AM

the single wire connected to the bottom of the driver's side fan (condensor fan) is only attached to the fan housing to keep it out of the way. theres a tab you push/pull/press? and it will disconnect (whole thing) . if that wire is broken your ac clutch won't work, your internal blower will work but no cold air.
I had a similar cooling problem, I finally just changed both the fans (since they were original & i changed everything else) they were working but I guess not good enough. now I never hear that fan come on after I park and the lower hose doesn't look overheated.
Sometimes it's scarey to change the heater hose cause you'll see how corroded those fittings really are.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 AM

Thanks!!! i'm going to attempt this repair this weekend.......not enough hours in the day.........

Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM

Update.....

Ok, I don't have very much hair, but now i'm stumped.........I got the a/c condensor fan replaced, works like a champ, I turn on the a/c and both fans spin...I fixed the single connector that got pulled out...

Now.........when i went to bleed the system, i turned the bleeder bolt, waited for a nice stream, tightened it up, and filled the rad. I then set the fan switch to high, temp to max heat, and fired it up.........the car ran for 45 mins, and it burped, bubbled, I added it when it needed, i also watched it rise and fall at the rad opening...first observance, fans did not kick on once......Problem??? The needle stayed at exactly where it was supposed to stay. I figured, odd, but ok, I did hit the a/c switch to make sure the fans kicked on for a quick second, and they did, my antifreez in the rad went down, i added some more.....I felt both hoses, both were the same temp, hot, but not too hot to touch. So i figured, done deal, all's well...put everything back together and away we go. i drove the car that nite, next day no issue. I then drove 20 mins in traffic the following day, it was a 80 day, i didn't use the a/c....I came off the exit, which is a horrible wait in rush hour traffic....as i sat there, I looked down, and my needle started climbing........I said wtf!!! I turned on the heat, and the needle went back to norm......so now i'm pissed....when i got to my destination, i turned off the car, the rad fan kicked on....as it should...so now i'm thinking, the only thing i haven't replaced is the coolant temp sensor in the therm housing(just a reminder, when i replaced tstat about a month ago, the housing was broken, had to get a new one, and just trans the sensor, duh! should have replaced it then........) So, back to the drawing board, I took it apart AGAIN, replaced this sensor, went through the flush, refill, and burp sequence again, ran the car for 45 mins, AGAIN no fans, did not over heat, just sat there running like a champ! I figured, probably not hot enough, so whatever.......drove to a friends house (15 min fwy drive), and for ****s and giggles, put it in park and sat there....sure enough 10 mins, and the needle starts to climb...........and no fan, but when i turned off the car, it kicked on........so now i'm stumped? Help!

Last edited by aloha_bruddah; 10-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

OK, the other fan switch (in the upper radiator hose nozzle) is responsible for the fan running after you turn off the engine. So that other one seems to be OK.

How high did the temperature needle get this last time? It SHOULD go up somewhat above normal; just not to the red zone at the top. I guess it should get up to maybe 60% before the fan comes on.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM

I don't know, as soon as i saw the needle climb, i turned on the heat.......but I could have swore I read that the fans should cycle twice when burping, and they never did, with the car just sitting there idleing for 45 mins.........it only heats up AFTER I drive and then come to a parked stop.........

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM

next time you test drive it and temp goes up, try turning on a/c, temp should go down since you know fans work with a/c on.
Manual says to check for a short or bad connection from sensor to ecm if there is no mil or cel (check engine light).
are you using a honda thermostat or aftermarket, I used to have problems when I used aftermarket.
i almost never drive without a/c now so I know fans are cooling

Last edited by brokanic; 10-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Accord overheating......