General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord is pinging really bad! I will do anything suggested.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord is pinging really bad! I will do anything suggested.

Let me start off by saying i did use the search feature but i'm still a little unsure. I own a 1995 honda accord, automatic, 158,000 miles with a 2.2l engine. I've read up about "pinging" and started using higher rated fuel. I also seafoamed my car and use various fuel treatments to solve this pinging issue. Nothing has worked so far. After searching this site i read about advance timing, egr valves, and cleaning certain parts.

I've haven't done anything but used fuel treatments to solve my problem. I really need to solve this issue and i'm willing to clean any part or replace anything needed. I would love for someone to share any knowledge or advice on how i can tackle this problem. Also, would anyone please enlighten on how to advance timing?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

is the noise from the top end? when was the last time you had ur valves adjusted? does it do it at idle? when you rev the engine does it get worse? have you checked your fuel pressure? or the regulator? let me know more of what the engine is doing or a vid clip of it running. so i can narrow it down.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by 91accordCB9
is the noise from the top end? when was the last time you had ur valves adjusted? does it do it at idle? when you rev the engine does it get worse? have you checked your fuel pressure? or the regulator? let me know more of what the engine is doing or a vid clip of it running. so i can narrow it down.
When i'm under the hood reving the engine, the car does not ping and it doesn't ping while idling. So i'm not sure if its top end or lower end. I've had the car for 15k miles and never had the valves adjusted, fuel pressure checked or the regulator. It only makes the pinging noise when im actually driving the car. If i try to accelerate quickly or when im driving at a constant and step on the gas the car will start pinging. I have to lightly drive at a low rpm or else it will start pinging. I guess it happens when there is a load on the engine. thanks for helping!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok if its the bottom end you will hear a knocking(rod bearings) so thats out. and if its the valves you will hear it moast of the time during idle. What kinda oil you useing? when you hear the noise when driveing try to step on the gas more and see if it gos away.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Supper Moderator

Upping the octane fuel will do NOTHING. we have really low c/r stock 8:8:1 so 87 will NEVER make you "ping"
Check your valves like said be4 ^^^

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by 91accordCB9
ok if its the bottom end you will hear a knocking(rod bearings) so thats out. and if its the valves you will hear it moast of the time during idle. What kinda oil you useing? when you hear the noise when driveing try to step on the gas more and see if it gos away.
i'm using castrol gtx high mileage 10w-30. when i step on the gas more it gets louder then the engine drowns the pinging noise. i try to easy off the gas once i hear the noise so im not really sure if it fully goes away. will pinging hurt my engine if i keep driving while its pinging?

Originally Posted by g22cd5
Upping the octane fuel will do NOTHING. we have really low c/r stock 8:8:1 so 87 will NEVER make you "ping"
Check your valves like said be4 ^^^
how do i check my valves? is there any valve cleaner i can use? im up for anything. i just want to get rid of this noise.

Last edited by antec121; 01-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Carbon build-up can increase actual compression ratio, along with providing hot-spots for preignition. So our low compression ratio doesn't absolutely rule out the effect of octane. The only disadvantage to trying premium fuel is the extra cost.

If that works, then don't just ignore the problem & continue using premium. It's a way to help diagnose. Then maybe SeaFoam sucked into the intake...

Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Carbon build-up can increase actual compression ratio, along with providing hot-spots for preignition. So our low compression ratio doesn't absolutely rule out the effect of octane. The only disadvantage to trying premium fuel is the extra cost.

If that works, then don't just ignore the problem & continue using premium. It's a way to help diagnose. Then maybe SeaFoam sucked into the intake...
by intake you mean vacuum line? about 1/3 of the can? premium fuel helps but its still there. should i clean the egr valve?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

You could also try cleaning the EGR ports.

home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

freewebs.com/hondadude/95%20Accord%20EGR/95AccordEGR.htm

Old 01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, sucked through a vacuum line into the intake.

We're all kinda giving suggestions of what it might be. Carbon build-up in EGR is certainly possible even together with carbon in combustion chamber. Hard to be real certain from a distance.

Quick Reply: Accord is pinging really bad! I will do anything suggested.