General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accord is pinging really bad! I will do anything suggested.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

its hard to pinpoint what it is. i need to listen to the engine to rule out what it can be. ill do some searching see what i can find out.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

quick question. can pinging cause oil consumption? im really low in oil and ive been letting someone use my car and doesnt let up when the car starts pinging. i really dont want the person using my car but hes in a situation.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Was the car losing oil before this problem started?

Have you done any maintenance on it like distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, air filter? Are they due? Have you cleaned out the EGR ports?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure your PCV system is working. Plugged PCV valve can sens excessive oil into your intake manifold. Don't know if that can cause the pinging, but it'll cause oil consumption.

PCV valve should rattle when you shake it. They can get plugged up with oily crud blocking the little part from moving freely.

Make sure the other crankcase vent (over to the intake tube) is connected & open.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Was the car losing oil before this problem started?

Have you done any maintenance on it like distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, air filter? Are they due? Have you cleaned out the EGR ports?
the car wasnt losing any oil before i let this person use my car. i changed the spark plugs, air filter. two days ago i cleaned out all the egr ports along with the egr valve. i haven't changed the rotor or the distributor cap. i will do those very soon if need be.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Make sure your PCV system is working. Plugged PCV valve can sens excessive oil into your intake manifold. Don't know if that can cause the pinging, but it'll cause oil consumption.

PCV valve should rattle when you shake it. They can get plugged up with oily crud blocking the little part from moving freely.

Make sure the other crankcase vent (over to the intake tube) is connected & open.
i bought a new pcv valve about 8 months ago. when i was clearing out the egr ports the other day the pcv valve seemed a little clogged up. ill inspect it some more before i buy a new one.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest completely disabling EGR valve by removing the vacuum supply line and plugging line. If valve is sealing, this should eliminate pinging due to excess EG injection. EGR valve might be sticking open slightly leading to EG injection when not commanded by ECU. If disabling fixes pinging, then cleaning of EGR valve, EGR distribution, and EGR manifold should be performed.

Any chance the spark plugs are incorrect plugs. I've heard that incorrect heat plugs can lead to pinging, but no experience to confirm.

Engine timing is controlled by ECU, but worth checking that idle timing is correct.

Any chance of timing belt (TB) slippage or damage? A TB slightly off might run but ping. Only time I've seen off TB position, car ran badly, and sounds like yours is running OK most of the time. Is that true?

good luck

Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I would suggest completely disabling EGR valve by removing the vacuum supply line and plugging line. If valve is sealing, this should eliminate pinging due to excess EG injection. EGR valve might be sticking open slightly leading to EG injection when not commanded by ECU. If disabling fixes pinging, then cleaning of EGR valve, EGR distribution, and EGR manifold should be performed.

Any chance the spark plugs are incorrect plugs. I've heard that incorrect heat plugs can lead to pinging, but no experience to confirm.

Engine timing is controlled by ECU, but worth checking that idle timing is correct.

Any chance of timing belt (TB) slippage or damage? A TB slightly off might run but ping. Only time I've seen off TB position, car ran badly, and sounds like yours is running OK most of the time. Is that true?

good luck
I bought ngk spark plugs and i gave the guy the correct information. the thing is that it was pinging just as bad before. i will for sure block off the egr valve and report asap!

i will go get the engine timing checked tomorrow.

ive never inspected the timing belt. it seems like a lot of work just to check the belt. my car runs good and smooth until i try to speed up and then my car starts to ping.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 AM

I would try disabling the EGR valve first. This is more likely your problem than mistiming.

good luck

Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

If the EGR was not working, that might explain the pinging? EGR decreases combustion temperature; EGR should reduce pinging. So disabling an EGR that's not working in the first place shouldn't make any change. So if nothing changes when you disable the EGR, then maybe the problem is your EGR isn't working.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Jim is correct. I had it backwards. Lack of EGR increases pinging tendency. Sorry.

good luck

Quick Reply: Accord is pinging really bad! I will do anything suggested.