General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord tranny fluid question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM

Thanks guys. Off to the Honda dealership tomorrow. How many quarts does my tranny even take? I like JimBlake's way of flushing and I want to give it a try.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Oh, and thanks for the info Crispin. I did a little research and it sounds to me like you are exactly right. Good thing I didnt go run to a tranny shop to have it power flushed. My friend who works at a mechanic shop told me to just bring it by there and they have "global" atf fluid. I was like "but crispin said honda fluid only!!" LOL

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Total is 6 or 7 quarts, but only 3 or less actually drains out. (The torque converter doesn't drain)

Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

See youtube video from searching "10 min automatic transmission". This is called a flush, but is procedure that Jim indicated. I've done this w/o problems. This is an Accord in the video.

good luck

Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM

So I changed the tranny fluid today and didnt even try messing with flushing it. Im gonna do an engine/tranny swap in a year or so anyway. All I did was drain it, run a quart through it with it still open, and closed it up and filled it with a little less than 2.5 quarts, which made the level at the top line of the dipstick. Almost overfilled it. Glad I did it though my car shifts like butter now and I also got a cold air intake today and put that in in about 15 minutes. Everything else is stock. Great car with a little more ***** than it had before

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

good job man.
Are you going to be swapping to a 5 speed?
I did it and while it is a lot of work it isn't too hard.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM

Hmmm really now? I actually wanted to swap to a 5 speed but my friend kinda laughed and said I would be better off swapping to a slam style auto.

If you convince me otherwise your gonna be my new best friend because im dying to have a 5 speed but dont wanna dump my car. So, fill me in. Major modifications? Motor your used? transmission you used? Rough cost?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM

I actually made a few dollars on the swap.

I did a write-up on it, search for it under my user name

Bottom line is I bought a 95 accord with a 5 speed and a blown motor for $350, after getting all the parts I needed off of it, scrapping the body, and selling parts I have made around $100 plus I still have a bunch of spare parts for my car.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

By "slam style" auto are you referring to a triptronic type set up where it is an auto but you can change gears by pressing a button?

If so that would have to be a completely custom set up that would be a complete nightmare as the 97-01 prelude type SH was the only one with one that would even come close to working, and it would be a wiring disaster.

I say you go with crispin's plan, buy a wrecked accord that is manual and swap all the parts over.

Quick Reply: Accord tranny fluid question..