General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord vs Acura reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Accord vs Acura reliability

What I would like to know is if Acura motors are basically souped-up Honda motors and if they are reliable like Honda motors are. Are they Honda motors/transmissions or does Acura make their own or the third alternative would be to buy someone elses (like Ford) and then modify them for their own needs

I'm not interested in a basic Honda vs. Acura thread and whether Acura is worth the price premium. I know that Acura is the luxury line of Honda. As such they add lots of toys; have a better fit & finish than Honda; are quieter; etc. Luxury vs Functional is a personal choice and both have their place in the marketplace.

What I want to know is if the basic mechanicals like the motor and transmissions are built to be reliable like Honda or is it just a question of adding toys, and improving specs to appeal to the luxury market.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry about putting this in the new member area. It was not my intention, rather I wanted it in the general off-topic forum. Moderator, feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate place and then delete this reply.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

And your wish is my command..moved it there for you..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Acura motors are Honda motors.

My experience is with my 05 TSX. My car is very similar to the 03-07 accord. They share a lot of the same parts. The engines are both K24 engines, so they are of similar design. My TSX has a higher compression ratio and a bigger intake manifold compared to the accord, so it has more HP. They both have a ivtec and use the same timing chain, so they are similar.

I am pretty sure that the transmissions are similar between them. I would guess the gear ratios are different. My manual transmission is a 6 speed where the accord was a 5-speed on the 4-cylinder accords.

The TL and the V6 accord have similar engines.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Just curious, if same engine, why does the TSX one require premium gas?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
Just curious, if same engine, why does the TSX one require premium gas?
Because it has higher compression

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

The TSX has the K24a2, accord has the K24A4. K24a2 has higher compression(which is why it requires premium gas) and has power making VTEC while the K24a4 only has VTEC on one cam and is meant for gas mileage.

In the old days(pre 2003 or somewhere around there) they were the exact same engine. The Acura CL had the same F22b1 that the Accord EX did, and most other parts on the car were compatible with the Accord as well. Basically just had different headlights and tail lights.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM

Ahh, thanks. I did some research on this but nothing as clear-cut as your answers.

It seems to me that a TSX with turbo v4 (high compression and whatnot) is very comparable to an Accord V6. They are about the same price, with similar features (leather seats, technology features, etc.). Besides the exterior looks (which the Accord does come in behind), everything else is in the Accord's favor: bit roomier, stronger engine (200 vs 240) at lower fuel cost, cheaper dealer service. At least that how it seems to me... I'm just ramblin'. :P

Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Rice always gives our members a clear and consise answer...He'sssss Greaaaaat !
And I mean that Cam

Angelo

Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
Ahh, thanks. I did some research on this but nothing as clear-cut as your answers.

It seems to me that a TSX with turbo v4 (high compression and whatnot) is very comparable to an Accord V6. They are about the same price, with similar features (leather seats, technology features, etc.). Besides the exterior looks (which the Accord does come in behind), everything else is in the Accord's favor: bit roomier, stronger engine (200 vs 240) at lower fuel cost, cheaper dealer service. At least that how it seems to me... I'm just ramblin'. :P
The TSX is neither turbo nor a V4(common mistake because people get so used to saying V6 V8 Etc but the 4 cylinders are called I4s because the cylinders are inline and not in a v pattern).

I agree on all your points, but if I were looking at one or the other it would be the TSX hands down for me. I think the TSXs(up until the newest generation with huge chrome grills) look very nice. While I think the new Accords are hideous and too big.

I also believe the newest generation(huge chrome grill) TSXs come with a V6.

And thank you Ang, I try

Quick Reply: Accord vs Acura reliability