General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjusting air mix cable/blender door

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Default adjusting air mix cable/blender door

okay i have the shop manual. im looking at this thing and im just not getting it.

is all the adjustment done in the engine bay, besides turning the **** to max cool inside?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:38 PM

okay got it figured out.

unhooked the air blend cable, turned **** to max cool, the moved arm until there would be no slack and reattached cable.

still does nnot blow cold.

ac clutch engages
both fans come on

now what i have noticed

static psi(with car and AC off) on L side is past 100psi bc its over 100 degrees here in dallas, that is correct

at idle with ac set on max and blower on max with it on recirculate psi reads 40psi

if i give it throttle it reads 20psi

whats going on here?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM

is it supposed to drop down like that when throttle is applied, if so, then i have a problem else where.

no condensation is forming on the receiver/dryer

L tubing is not cool.

either someone is going to tell me its low on coolant or i have a clogged something

Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you have that shop manual, you will need 4 pieces of information. The high and low pressures at ~1500 rpm. The outside air temperature and the temperature at the vents.

There is a TSB for civics and crvs that should apply to your car.

Google 96-012 honda pdf

The second link called service bulletin from driveaccord.net will be the pdf you want.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

An easy performance test that doesn't require gauges:

Turn AC on max Fan, recirculate, doors and windows closed, car in shade. Allow to stablize for 5 mins. Measure air temp on floor board on pax side and air temp coming from center vents. The differeence should be 35-45F, depending on humidity. Lower temps for higher humidity.

good luck

Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM

i dont have access to high pressure gauge.

maybe see if i can borrow one at school.

so basically i can not determine anything without the high side readings

Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 PM

also is the psi supposed to drop from 40psi at idle with AC on MAX to 20psi at 1500rpm?

where am i supposed to measure if the system is full or not? at 1500rpm or idle pressure?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM

Anyone? It's really hot outside

Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Here are is the vent temperature, low psi, and high psi assuming it is 95 degrees outside with 80% humidity at 1500 rpm. This is from eyeballing that chart:

Vent 70 degrees.
Low 52 psi
High 380

Assuming it is 95 with 30 % humidity:
Temp at vent 57
Low 40 psi
High 300 psi

Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If it were as simple as hitting a specific PSI, charging would indeed be easy. In practice there are many variables.

I have tried to use the charts published by Honda and found them only helpful in providing some guidance into expected ranges of pressures. Even when system is charged by weight it may not perform in accordance w/ these charts, in my experience.

If you want to understand basics, there's a good Haynes manual on Automotive AC that can be purchased. I think Mastercool makes a similar manual.

From your limited information, I would say it's severely undercharged, but w/o high pressure information that is just a guess.

Suggest checking that all under hood connections are sound (no oily/dirty indications), check around compressor clutch for an oily/dirty ring of oil slung by leaking compressor seal, check hose crimps for leaks. If all under the hood looks good, you either have a evaporator/expansion valve leak or perhaps a blockage in system.

Again, hi/lo pressures are necessary to diagnose.

good luck

Quick Reply: adjusting air mix cable/blender door