General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice on how much to invest in old Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Default Advice on how much to invest in old Accord

Not sure what to do. Have an '86 (maybe '87) Accord, 265K miles. Lots of oil leaks. Needs a quart about every 2 weeks. Last time I took it some where to get the oil changed (quite a while ago) they refused to change it because of all the oil and oil leaks. For the most part, everything else that needs to work works. Tho of course with a car that old, lots of little things are a problem - drivers window doesn't go up or down, AC doesn't work, when it idle the RPMs sometimes run high, trunk leak thru one of the tail lights, paint oxidizing all over (would one of those rub on compounds take this off?), various other shakes, wobbles and rattles. Basically a real beater, but generally quite reliable, even if the entire family is embarrassed.

I drive it mainly the work and back -- mostly highway driving, 30 mins each way. A little around town on errands.

Here is the deal: 2 kids in college, need new roof next year, paying off a 2010 Accord that the wife uses primarily.

Have no idea what repairing the biggest of the oil leaks would cost, as it isn't clear where it is coming from. Unsure about the smaller ones. Would take a mechanic some hours to investigate. It isn't burning oil out the back, but one of the leaks does somehow end up on the exhaust manifold, causing some smoking under the hood at intersections, and sending a burning smell into the interior sometimes. supposedly the valve cover gasket was replaced about a year and a half ago, along with timing belt.

This thing is worth about $700. Probably costs more to insure than it is worth. Fill it with gas and double its value. That sort of rig. But does it make sense to spend maybe $300 or $400 to try to resolve some of those leaks, or just keep pumping oil into it and pray it keeps running? Appreciate insight from the brains on this forum.

thanks.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Gordon
...but one of the leaks does somehow end up on the exhaust manifold, causing some smoking under the hood at intersections...supposedly the valve cover gasket was replaced about a year and a half ago...
My 2¢: No, it doesn't make sense to put that kind of money into it. It could be though that the valve cover gasket is the major culprit and spending $20 on a valve cover gasket set would make a lot of sense. I'm not familiar with older Hondas but on later models all you need is a 10mm socket/ratchet to change the gasket. Scrap some crud off and see if you can tell where the majority of the oil is coming from.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM

I am not familiar with old accord too but one thing that could be possible with excess oil dripping is that during last oil change someone forgot to check the gasket for the oil filter and it accidentally remained there. as a result of that you ended up with 2 gaskets (new and old) which will no longer provide a good seal. Totally agree with valve cover gasket possibility. Also oil pan could be a possibility too. If you have time just spend $20 on repair manual from advance auto parts and try to find the problem. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Tough call when it's got that many miles and problems. I hate oil leaks. It could be something as simple as the valve cover or oil pan. Or be something as difficult as front or rear main seals. I would identify where the leak is before I made that judgement call. Mine was leaking profusely from the VTech solenoid. A few bucks in parts and a bit of labor and its fixed.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you give it away, PM me....based upon your description,,,,>$300 and she is running fine. I do my own labor so that is what I call it.

Sounds like you have a DX or LX (carb) based upon the idle issue-fast idle unloder...but that is a high level guess.

Bottom line-if you are willing to do the work, you can get more miles out of it for @ $300 easy(based upon your description). If you want and have the funds for another car then the choice is yours....

If you want to do the work, let me know. Pretty good with the 3rd gens (86-89). Pretty sure I've learned a trick/tip or two that can help.

Bottom line-you have to make the choice?

EDIT: what is the monthly payment on the 2010-you can be all fixed up for 1 1 1/2 of those

Last edited by poorman212; 10-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Gordon
Not sure what to do. Have an '86 (maybe '87) Accord, 265K miles. Lots of oil leaks. Needs a quart about every 2 weeks. Last time I took it some where to get the oil changed (quite a while ago) they refused to change it because of all the oil and oil leaks. For the most part, everything else that needs to work works. Tho of course with a car that old, lots of little things are a problem - drivers window doesn't go up or down, AC doesn't work, when it idle the RPMs sometimes run high, trunk leak thru one of the tail lights, paint oxidizing all over (would one of those rub on compounds take this off?), various other shakes, wobbles and rattles. Basically a real beater, but generally quite reliable, even if the entire family is embarrassed.

I drive it mainly the work and back -- mostly highway driving, 30 mins each way. A little around town on errands.

Here is the deal: 2 kids in college, need new roof next year, paying off a 2010 Accord that the wife uses primarily...
1) try another oil change place, or ask your neighborhood kid to change your oil every spring / fall. top off otherwise.

2) Post up here and/or in your local paper asking for a better car, say where you live, for not much money.
Explain. Say where you are, hey there are many peeps who are comfy and would help others out.

3) My son has an '86 Prelude that resembles yours and drips a lot, but not to your extent gotta admit. If I had this car and if it needed $500 repair I'd probably look for another beater. Try "searchtempest.com" or put up WTB ad on local supermarket corkboard.

4) Poorman has nice offer

worth $.02 only ... luck.

Last edited by UhOh; 10-20-2011 at 12:51 AM.