General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice needed Anti freeze leaking white smoke ....tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Thumbs down Advice needed Anti freeze leaking white smoke ....tailpipe

Love My Accord...1997 4 dr Honda Accord SE 190 K- having an issue now ...one of the few since I owned it..but I think it is serious. I am h losing anti freeze. I noticed my temp gauge rising one day after driving two miles so I immediatley pulled over and added antifreeze to the empty to overflow container...then I brought it to a station. My mechanic tested the radiator and pressure was fine. They could not locate the issue but, used plug since I was still using fluid. ( radiator new 18 months ago) Mechanic said fans are working. ,,didnot see leak in hoses.. He also checked sensors and cat converter. I let the car sit for a few days and started the car- I noticed white smoke and a water like substance coming from the tailpipe for s few minutes when I started the car. Can anyone advise on what this may be- I am hoping I can still keep my Honda...it really runs beautifully and looks much younger. Temperature gauge seems to be keeping appropriate range when I have driven the car after plugging. It seems like I am still losing some antifreeze. I do not notice any sever change in operation. I am generally using this for around the town not highway mileage. Heater? AC? Please not the head gasket..sounds expensive ...been reading on line.. Thank you!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke + losing coolant usually means that the head gasket is bad.

Do a compression test to see if one or two of the cylinders have a much lower compression. If so, then suspect a bad head gasket.

If replacing the HG, you will have to take the head to a machine shop to have it milled, so it is flat. You might want to get any worn valves replaced along with the guides, etc, since you will have it apart. Also I would replace the timing belt and water pump as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
White smoke + losing coolant usually means that the head gasket is bad.

Do a compression test to see if one or two of the cylinders have a much lower compression. If so, then suspect a bad head gasket.

If replacing the HG, you will have to take the head to a machine shop to have it milled, so it is flat. You might want to get any worn valves replaced along with the guides, etc, since you will have it apart. Also I would replace the timing belt and water pump as well.

+1.....