General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aftermarket Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Default Aftermarket Ignition

I'm looking at upgrading my ignition coil on the Honda and it looks like there's two different one's for my engine, internal and external. I have the external one. It looks like Accel makes an internal one, but I can't find an external one that matches mine. Does anybody know where I can find one?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

What else has been done to this engine to require a coil upgrade?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 PM

Nothing, It's a stock, worn out piece of crap, but I think I should replace the coil so I figure why not go with a performance one if it's not too much more. It's an easy enough job so can you answer the question? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

When it comes to cars, there are many-many components which fall into the category of, "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it." Ignition coils are definitely in that category.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

The answer to your question is, I don't know about Accel coils.

The OEM coil has lasted for 20 years and is still working. I'd recommend not replacing the coil, because it is working.

I asked if an aftermarket coil is necessary, because the OEM coils are pretty good, and I avoid aftermarket parts when possible.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Ok guys, that's your opinion, cool. I can say I've owned lots of cars and worked on lots of cars and stock just isn't good enough for me. I'm an automotive enthusiast. I like to make at the very minimum, minor performance upgrades to my vehicles and I'm talking about reputable aftermarket parts in most cases when it matters, sometimes I just make stuff. Sorry, but restricted air flow, subpar ignition performance, and sluggish shifting just isn't good enough for me. It's kinda like when you go to the track almost every car you see has an MSD ignition box. Hmmm why is this? I respect your opinion, but I think I'm looking for some responses from some guys that maybe have some experience building up Hondas.

Oh, and today I made a cold air intake for this hooptie and I'm very happy with it. I was totally surprised that there was like probably 10 or 15 pounds of crap that I removed from this car with that whole stock system and gained 10 to 15 horse easy. Believe it or not people actually try to start races with me in this car. It's usually kids with 90's Civics with fart cans (no offence to anyone with a fart can lol) and I just punch it and almost always win with some blue smoke coming out lol. There was this one time when I lost to this done up Civic, but I don't feel so bad cause it was pretty bad ***. It's funny, I'm just trying to get this dam engine to blow so I can get a different one cause I think I'm gonna restore this car, but the dam thing just wont blow lol...

Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The answer to your question is, I don't know about Accel coils.

The OEM coil has lasted for 20 years and is still working. I'd recommend not replacing the coil, because it is working.

I asked if an aftermarket coil is necessary, because the OEM coils are pretty good, and I avoid aftermarket parts when possible.
It doesn't have to be an accel coil. My car has the one that's external. I couldn't find one at Summit or on ebay. I can only locate the internal one, but that's not for my car. Could someone let me know where I can find a performance external one (meaning outside the distributer cap)? Thanks.

Last edited by HighwayStar; 05-12-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

If you find a "performance external" coil, what change do you expect in how your engine runs?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
If you find a "performance external" coil, what change do you expect in how your engine runs?
I'm really not sure what your trying to do here. Maybe you're trying to talk me out of getting one or you're possibly trying to quiz me, or maybe you don't understand? Tell you what, maybe try googling "reasons to upgrade ignition". You will get a much better explanation than I would be able to give to you. The information is out there. I was just trying to find a part, but I think I was able to find it, but I'm not willing to spend that right now.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'm asking because an aftermarket "performance external" coil will provide zero benefit over the factory coil; if you're expecting a bump in power and/or fuel economy, then not going to happen.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Ignition