General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

aftermarket intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Default aftermarket intake

what is the difference between cold air intake, short ram intake, and com. cold air intake, can you just snap one of these on do you need to replace, or equip anything else with an intake this would be for a 96 accord lx 2.2 thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: aftermarket intake

can anyone help me with this one

Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

PM DesertHonda and he will help you out with this, if he doesnt , I will help you out tonight when I get home...

WheelBrokerAng

Also you can click onto our forum sponsor on the side K&N Filters

Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 AM

A cold air intake entends into the fenderwell so as to draw outside air into the engine. The outside airwill be cooler (not really cold)than the air directly under the hood. A short ram draws air from beneath the hood and is not quite as effective but still works. Normally you remove the stock intake box and replace it with either of the above with simple hand tools. You must order one specific to your car and engine.In states where vehicle inspection is required an aftermarket intake mustpass C.A.R.B standards and have a sticker saying so. The stickerapplies beneath the hood for all to see.

CARB= California Air Resources Board

Old 03-04-2007, 01:30 PM

do you need to install any other parts someone was saying something about a bypass valve to avoid vaporlock im not sure, and what about exhaust, im getting a catback system do i need to change the headers too. thank you for the help much appreciated

Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 PM

A bypass valve is only for a cold air intake. It's purpose is to avoid hydrolocking your engine if you go through deep water. An exhaust header can be installed at any time and will maximize the exhaust flow if you do a catback system. The same CARB standards apply as mentioned above.
If you order an intake systen from a major manufacturer instructions will come with it. I suggest, once you've decided, that you go to the manufacturer's site and print the instructions out in color. Those that come with the parts are usually poor quality copies.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 PM

how easy is it to install a bypass valve. i see that you chose a short ram intake, anyway thanks for the help much appreciated, do you think its a good idea to put this on a car with so many miles. 96 accord lx 118850k miles

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Generally it takes a hacksaw, a bit of forethought, and the fittings that come with the bypass. Actually your mileage is low considering the age of the car. It's up to you if it's worth the expense.....what needs repair right now, how long are you going to keep it, have you changed the timing belt & water pump yet? There's a lot of questions you need to ask yourself before dropping a big chunk of change into an 11 year old ride.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Thank You RTexasF..I knew you would get to this before me..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 03-05-2007, 03:11 AM

thanks for taking the time to help me out i do get a little impaitent, but this info was very helpful . very happy to be a member

Quick Reply: aftermarket intake