General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Stopped Blowing Cold Air From One Start To Next

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Default Air Conditioner Stopped Blowing Cold Air From One Start To Next

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help . I bought a used 2005 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Automatic not quite a month ago. The air conditioner wasn't blowing cold air but the mechanic I went to for a pre-purchase inspection seemed to think that the compressor was fine and it only needed a refrigerant refill. A few days after taking possession of the vehicle, I had the system vacuumed and refilled, and it's been blowing ice cubes for about three weeks. Today I drove about five miles to do some shopping with the A/C blowing very very cold air. I spent about an hour in the store then returned to my car. Upon starting the car the air conditioner was blowing warmish air, and it's remained that way for the rest of the day. I checked the fuses and all seems well. Also, the fan seems fine, blowing from low to high and changing vents correctly with various modes. Please, does anybody have any idea what might cause such a sudden change? Thanks again for your time, I appreciate it.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 05-30-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: More Information, Information
Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Any reply you get would be a guess and really need to get the a/c system diagnosed. I would start by seeing if the a/c compressor clutch engages when you turn on the a/c.

This video shows the location of the compressor on a Honda engine and shows the clutch as well.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I concur with above. See if the clutch is engaging when it's not working. If it is working then make sure the fan is on. If those two things are working then it is the compressor. An 05 will not have a fuse issue and if it's blowing warm out of all vents then it's not a blend door

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM

PAHonda and Seanjordan20: thank you very much for your replies. I watched the video then checked my car, and the clutch isn't engaging, at least not after 5-6 minutes with the A/C and fan on high. Could it simply be the clutch? By the looks of it, the compressor-clutch is the original. Do you think it would be pointless to simply replace the clutch, then?

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM

That is up to you. I know that I've been buying my compressors from a store on eBay and they have not failed me yet.

Accord compressor kit

I have used 7 kits over the past 8 years from them and one has not failed me yet. They also give a lifetime warranty.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You could have a bad clutch coil or excess clutch plate gap. see attached video.

good luck

Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'd do some more testing.

If the wire to the compressor clutch is giving battery voltage to the clutch, and it's not engaging, then yes look at replacing the clutch or the compressor.

If that wire isn't giving battery voltage to the clutch, then it's pointless to replace the clutch or compressor. You have to figure out why the electrical system isn't giving the "engage" signal to the clutch.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM

Seanjordan20: Thanks for the link. Do you have any idea how many hours labor a garage might charge to install the kit?

TexasHonda: Thanks, I will watch the video and learn something.

JimBlake: Thanks for your good suggestion. How would you check the wire?

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 05-31-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot To Refresh Page
Old 05-31-2018, 12:54 PM

Sorry no since I do all my own work. I would Imagine if you buy your own compressor and have someone put it in the may charge you around $300 for labor and Freon. The job is not hard to do and takes about 2 hours taking your time.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:59 PM

Seanjordan: I've no means to deal with the refrigerant. I've watched several videos, do you attack from the top (fan removal, etc.) or do you remove the front passenger tire?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Stopped Blowing Cold Air From One Start To Next