General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning Randomly Blows Cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM

never mind i checked again with a different volt meter & I'm getting a 14.13V
& yes it does engage & the Low Side Pipe is cold...

Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 PM

alright my A/C is still not blowing cold.
There's power going to the compressor, the condenser fan is running, cleaned the condenser coil, made sure there's no debris in the air filter cabin, the low pressure line is ridiculously cold, the evaporator is cold, the blower is working....

all I get is a 70-80 degrees of hot air....

my next guess would be the expansion valve unfortunately I don't know how to check the expansion valve is working properly or not
OR
there's a blockage somewhere along the line...I don't know....

Old 05-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Most likely explanation is the heater core control valve is partially or completely open, despite the temperature selection position. Temp ***** are known to break. Check the **** first. Look at heater core valve behind distributor, low on the firewall and manually close (usually pull forward but you may have to trial&error). If cold air returns, you've found the problem. Repairing the push/pull wire may require adjusting the control mechanism under the pax side dashboard. Shop manual is essential.

good luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Most likely explanation is the heater core control valve is partially or completely open, despite the temperature selection position. Temp ***** are known to break. Check the **** first. Look at heater core valve behind distributor, low on the firewall and manually close (usually pull forward but you may have to trial&error). If cold air returns, you've found the problem. Repairing the push/pull wire may require adjusting the control mechanism under the pax side dashboard. Shop manual is essential.

Yea I know about the temp. know always break replaced it a good 3 months ago.
Well I'm gonna check it later on today...as long it's not the expansion valve....

Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Alrite I check the heater core valve control & it functions perfectly

Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Is the outside air temperature 70-80 degrees?

Does manually adjusting the temperature control at the heater core change air temperature coming from inside of the vents using either the heat or the a/c?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Air temp should be well over 100F if heater core is fully warmed by hot coolant. Did this happen when you turned control to full hot? For help you need to be precise and supply details in your responses.

good luck

Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Air temp should be well over 100F if heater core is fully warmed by hot coolant. Did this happen when you turned control to full hot? For help you need to be precise and supply details in your responses.

good luck

yes the air temperature is hot by the coolant
Yes, if i turned to temperature to max hot it blows 100% of hot air however if I turned to max cold it only blows cool which is only around 70-75 degrees coming from the middle vent (used a temperature gauge)

I got another question....can I use engine degreaser (like GUNK) to clean my condenser coils? or must I use condenser cleaning coil because I can't find condenser cleaning coil anywhere (tried Home Depot, Lowes, all my local auto parts store...I went into Johnstone Supply where they sell HVAC or AC related stuff I can't buy since I must have a license)

So I just want to know using the engine degreser is safe for my condenser coils
Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do yourself a favor and set up a pressure gauge and chk the high and low pressures .. also both fans need to be turning when a/c is on ,, post the pressures readings here ,, it will give us a better idea of what's going on

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
do yourself a favor and set up a pressure gauge and chk the high and low pressures .. also both fans need to be turning when a/c is on ,, post the pressures readings here ,, it will give us a better idea of what's going on
.....................................sigh
*going to autopart store & buy a manifold gauge then returning it*

alright I'll let you know later on today or sometime tomorrow

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Randomly Blows Cold