General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Default airbag connector

hello all, I just got a 94 accord lx. First honda, pretty excited.

so I bought the car with the srs light on, figured it just needed to be reset because the passenger airbag was replaced at one time, used the light to my advantage to get a better deal. Well the light wont reset so checked all plugs.

Passenger air bag is not connected. The plugs do not match up, it is a honda srs bag but I do not know the year or model it came out of,(I have not removed it yet).

My question: can I still use the airbag if I replace the plug? They are both 2 wire plugs. Whats the worst that can happen? the passenger bag goes off when I connect the battery? If it doesn't work its not like I need the bag.
It might be worth a try, I have never heard of anyone trying, it was more like take it to the dealer, dont touch yellow plugs.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chillij715
hello all, I just got a 94 accord lx. First honda, pretty excited.

so I bought the car with the srs light on, figured it just needed to be reset because the passenger airbag was replaced at one time, used the light to my advantage to get a better deal. Well the light wont reset so checked all plugs.

Passenger air bag is not connected. The plugs do not match up, it is a honda srs bag but I do not know the year or model it came out of,(I have not removed it yet).

My question: can I still use the airbag if I replace the plug? They are both 2 wire plugs. Whats the worst that can happen? the passenger bag goes off when I connect the battery? If it doesn't work its not like I need the bag.
It might be worth a try, I have never heard of anyone trying, it was more like take it to the dealer, dont touch yellow plugs.

Thanks for any advice.

no, you can't replace the plug and expect it to work, i'd never ride in your passenger seat . "don't touch yellow plugs" <<<<not bad advice...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM

I already ordered a new airbag, my gf will be driving the car. I was wondering if it would work tho,I could cancel my order and save a few bucks. I was thinking of removing the bag and trying it outside of the car. Just extend the wires.
My curiosity loves to experiment.

If the bag doesnt go off when starting the car and the srs light can be turned off when reset, does that mean it works

Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

i'm going to say this once for your benefit and others that read the post. Do not tamper with srs components, cut and splice harnesses or use unknown or improper parts in the system such as from other year/model vehicles. It's not the money you save won't do ya no good when you are injured or killed.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

disclaimer... I'm an engineer, but NOT IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. So my free advice is worth just about zero.

Over different years they probably use different types of charges to inflate the bags. When they make a change like that, it makes sense that they would purposely change the plugs, to prevent honest mechanics from making an honest mistake.

With a different type of explosive charge, and the possibility of it needing different voltages or different types of signals to set it off, you'd be asking for the bag to blow up in your face.

I also have a sneaky hunch that you might want to wire it up, place it in the yard 20 feet away from the car JUST FOR FUN... It's very possible that the SRS controller will "know" that the airbag went off, and it'll "brick" itself to prevent it being used again after a collision.