General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

All My Engine Oil Leaked Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
LAEXACCORDGUY
Unregistered
Default All My Engine Oil Leaked Out

Well, I'm not sure if I am pissed, disappointed, or still in shock. I'm a newbie who just bought a 91 Accord last Thursday. I checked the car thoroughly (or at least I thought I did) before handing over the cash. I looked under the hood and it appeared to be fine, I looked under the engine compartment and noticed what was a oil leak from the oil pan. The car sounded strong, drove strong and smooth, and I figured I would have it checked out by my mechanic soon after. I also figured I would have the TB done since the milesare high, and you just never know. the guy I bought it from didn't have it long and didnt have much history on the car (this should have been my first red flag). But the car looks so immaculate I couldn't resist.

Driving to work this morning the oil light turned on and stayed on, I then began to smell burning oil and within a couple of blocks pulled into a gas station, opened the hood and lots of smoke. I also noticed engine oil on the top of motor near the firewall. I then looked under the car and that's when I noticed a trail of big oil drippings trailing the car and I noticed a huge puddle of oil underneath the car. Needless to say I was very worried at this point. AAA came out and towed the car to HonCura mechanic. Themechanic did a visual check of the car and it might be a seal located within the TB area that has been known to pop out causing this type of problem. So I don't know if this is the actual problem until the mechanic conducts a more thorough check of the car, and pulls out the TB. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. If it is just the TB area seals/gaskets the cost is just under $600 to complete the entire TB/WP/Belts/gasket/seals job. He is also going to let me know about the leaking oil pan.

Not a good start to the purchase of this car. Oh well, hopefully the car will run continue to run strong once the work is done.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: All My Engine Oil Leaked Out

TB? throttle body?
WP?

what do you mean by those...?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Timing Belt,Water Pump

Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Maybe a bad gasket somewhere. When i brought my car i was newb at it and there was oil all over the engine bay, But i fell for ITS A HONDA trick, but its not a Honda if you treat it like a Hyundai.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the seal that pops out ,is the balancer shaft seal,, it is very common , have seen a bunch of them, there is a retainer that needs to be installed after the new seal has been installed,,
But I have never seen a balancer shaft seal issue get oil all the way to the top of the engine at the firewall,, So it it possible that there are different leaks ,,,
sounds like the shop you took it to ( Honcura) works on Honda and Acuras I am guessing by the name .. so i am sure they will chk it out properly

Let us know what they say ,,