General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 PM
mightytrey
Unregistered
Default Alternator?

I'm new here but have already enjoyed spending hours reading the discussion threads. I have a 2000 Accord V6 (third Accord, I've owned) that has started behaving badly. When accelorating above 3500 RPMs the battery, brake and doors/rear break lamp console lights cut on until the car shifts and the RPMs drop below 3000, then the lights cut off. I do not experience the same problem when reving the engine in park or neutral. The same day this started the SRS light began cutting on and off intermittantly and I notice that the dash & headlights flicker when driving at night. I had Autozone check the battery and alternator, they checked out ok but the alternator seems to make high pitch winding noise. The terminal connections seem clean on both the battery and the alternator so I'm hoping someone can give me a suggestion before I take it to a service center.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Default RE: Alternator?

sounds like either a bad main relay or the voltage regulator is takin a poop.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 PM

I wonder if your alternator is overcharging the system or something..... that sounds really funky....no CEL on? I'm not condeming the alternator just yet... did this just start happening one day all of the sudden? If the alternator is making funky noises then it's probably on it's way out... it's strange that it would only do it while driving though and not while it's just sitting....

Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 PM
mightytrey
Unregistered

Yeah, it just started a few days ago while the car sat running for about 15 minutes while I waited for my daughter to get out of school, the lights just came on. since then they only come on while driving above 3500 RPMs, except the SRS light-it comes on pretty much no matter what I'm doing but only stays on for 5 to 15 seconds at a time. as for the check engine light I haven't had any trouble out of it yet.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 PM
mightytrey
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you know if one of these is the problem.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
mightytrey
Unregistered

I will try the main relay first, the voltage regulator and alternator must be replaced as a complete unit on V6 engines.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:05 PM
mightytrey
Unregistered

Problem solved, the alternator gave out before I had a chance to replace the relay. The problem may have been with the voltage regulator but with the V6 it cannot be changed seperate from the alternator. But on the positive side, the V6 has an automatic-tensioner so I didn't have to fool around with adjusting the belt.The hardest part ofit all was trying to get the bottom mounting bolt in place withoutcross-threading, I'm sure someone may know an easier way of lifting the alternator up high enough to get the bolt in straight.

Asa side note, I disconnected the power steering hose to give myself some room to work with andI've learned to have a rag handy to plug the power steering hose---it dripped fluid all over the belt, so I had to deal with a squeekingbelt for a little while.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go straight to replace alt. Delphi POS

Old 04-30-2007, 05:10 AM
accord2000pi
Unregistered

I've read several postings from this site, but I think your problem might be what I'm having right now. I have a 2000 accord 4 cyl. that wouldn't start at all. I went to my Uncle's house this afternoon, parked the car.. Two hours later when try to start the car, it won't start. It behaves as if my battery was dead. We jumped start and it started but it won't stay running unless you kept your foot on the gas pedal. So, I was told to get anew battery and I did. Unfortunately, the new battery didn't help. When I try to start the car, I don't hear clicking soundWe tapped the starter, still no clicking sound. We pushed the car thinking that it might help, but no luck. I've read from other posting that it might be a main relay, or the alternator, How do I check if main relay or the alternator is bad? . Please if anyone had experienced this before, I'd really appreciate if you could share your solutions. Thanks...

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

accord2000pi, your problem sounds like alternator to me. Can you take the alternator off and take it down to AutoZone and have them check it out for you? They will check it for free and you will know for sure if that is the problem. I know it is a pain in the butt to take it out if you are not sure that is the problem. But if it is the problem, at least you won't have to pay the core charge when you get a new one. If it is not the problem, the AutoZone guys may have suggestions.
P.S. You might get scolded for not starting your own thread. You may want to start your own in the "general tech help" section.