General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator gone bad??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Yeah I do ask a lot of questions, agreed.. but what can I say guys, who the hell else can you trust these days aside from people who do not benefit from lying to me.. I'd gladly answer more questions if I had legitimate knowledge but I really don't, all my knowledge is from reading infinite online threads and its purely theoretical and extremely limited..

Anyway, so I looked up the seafoam, a few youtube videos on how to do it.. here's a few questions:

- so do I put seafoam into my engine oil compartment as well or no?? and how much?? some ppl seemed to do it other didn't..

- Also, is it suggested to use the deep creep or no?? again, some ppl seemed to others didn't. And if I've to use the deep creep where is the throttle body and how do I spray it into the throttle body??

Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would run half the can in the gas tank for sure, I would think getting it to your injectors is a priority.
The other half I would run through the intake so as to clean off valve deposits.

Putting it in the oil is more for cleaning out sludge buildup which I do not suspect would cause much of a MPG drop.

For getting it into the intake I believe the correct procedure is to take a vacuum live off and put it into the seafoam can.

I am not an expert on seafoam. I have however seen it mentioned 100's upon 100's of times and not 1 time has it been said it did any harm.
I would do it for sure, let us know what results you get from it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
I would run half the can in the gas tank for sure, I would think getting it to your injectors is a priority.
The other half I would run through the intake so as to clean off valve deposits.

Putting it in the oil is more for cleaning out sludge buildup which I do not suspect would cause much of a MPG drop.

For getting it into the intake I believe the correct procedure is to take a vacuum live off and put it into the seafoam can.

I am not an expert on seafoam. I have however seen it mentioned 100's upon 100's of times and not 1 time has it been said it did any harm.
I would do it for sure, let us know what results you get from it.
Ok so I guess no need to use the deep creep spray into the throttle body?? Alright I'll go about what you said.. And then change the oil after like a day's driving, bout 100-150 miles.. I'll let you know what happens, gotta get that stuff later today and get right on it..

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
i swear there is not one trustworthy person anymore..
There are, you just have to find them. Ask your friends/neighbors/co-workers where they take their cars. Pick one and start with cheap services like oil changes, etc. Get a feel for the shop's honesty. And if you find a shop you like, stick with it; give them all your repair business.

Another resource is Craig's List. Lots of dealer or ex-dealer mechanics doing work on the side. Their business success relies on word-of-mouth recommendations from customers, more so than dealers who have guaranteed traffic with the Honda sign out front. Those independent guys working out a two car garage won't last long if they rip people off.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Roader
There are, you just have to find them. Ask your friends/neighbors/co-workers where they take their cars. Pick one and start with cheap services like oil changes, etc. Get a feel for the shop's honesty. And if you find a shop you like, stick with it; give them all your repair business.

Another resource is Craig's List. Lots of dealer or ex-dealer mechanics doing work on the side. Their business success relies on word-of-mouth recommendations from customers, more so than dealers who have guaranteed traffic with the Honda sign out front. Those independent guys working out a two car garage won't last long if they rip people off.
well lets just say my fortune is that bad or I just don't know how to talk to people.. craigslist is a good source until u get ripped off for 1500 bucks (first attempt) plus everyone wants to upsell.. as for asking around, friends and family, my social circle is excessively limited right now from 7 MBA classes per semester plus 25 to 30 hours of work per week on top of that and numerous other reasons.. or maybe i just suck at socializing.. who knows.. never had much of a family outside of parents and a sister, who I live with.. who the hell am i gonna go ask??

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

There are some sources of information.

The yellow pages should show mechanics that specialize in foreign cars.

You can try Yelp for reviews on these shops. Google maps has reviews on shops too.

If you have a local car insurance agency, you can call and ask who they typically send to do work on vehicles. They might be more familiar with body shops.

Do the same research for mechanics as you would for anything where you can spend a lot of money or waste time (like schools, apts, etc...).

Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
7 MBA classes per semester plus 25 to 30 hours of work per week on top of that...
21 credit hours? I thought 15 was a heavy load...21 is insane.

Ask your classmates where they get their cars fixed.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM

this may sound like endless excuses but most of them don't even own cars.. they all live in the city, brooklyn, queens etc.. thus, they have no need to own cars apparently.. I'm the only one that like 40 miles away in the suburbs and drives there everyday.. hell, when I tell them I live westchester they're all like oh wow that's like all the way upstate, and then I'm like umm not really..

but yeah, I did ask one of the guys at work today though.. I'm trying to ask around..

In the meantime, however, I shall rely on my personal interest in cars and you guys heavily.. and here's another problem.. CEL popped up again this morning.. new code this time..

P1457

Probable causes, the autozone receipt says:
- emission control system leak detected (control canister system)
- Loose fuel cap
- Vapor canister saturated
- Failed vent solenoid
- Failed purge solenoid

How do I even begin with diagnosing any of this?? and no the fuel cap is not loose, already checked.. suggestions guys??

Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

P1457?

That is the vent canister solenoid replacement, don't feel bad, it happens to all of us., Mine cost $140 total, parts tax and labor. at the local shop.

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 04-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Do you want to do any of this work yourself?

Quick Reply: Alternator gone bad??