General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I doomed with my automatic tranny?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Am I doomed with my automatic tranny?!

I just purchased my vehicle about a week ago. 91,000 miles. Now Im reading all these transmission horror stories. Are all the transmissions bad in these years? or is there a chance I have a good one? Kinda scary. It seems smooth so far. There was not any records of any work being done on tranny. That I seen at least.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Not all were bad. From what I have read over the years, about 50% were bad (that's just a round about guess.) Just keep your fingers crossed and try not to abuse it. There is an ongoing debate on draining & refilling the trans fluid or leaving it alone. Many will say you should drain and refill on a regular basis. Others might say to leave it alone if the trans is shifting fine. Whatever you do, DO NOT get the trans "power flushed." It is only recommended to drain & refill.

Good luck

Old 09-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So, would a power flush be something like an Oil can Henrys would do? Just curious. Thanks for the input. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM

I had a bad tranny on an 02 oddy. and when I would do the tranny fluid change there was a grey look to the fluid (metal). no mater how many fluid changes I did. I knew that tranny was going to go. If your going to change the fluid only use the honda fluid.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:42 AM

also on my tranny I had 107k and honda replaced it under warranty

Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jburgess
So, would a power flush be something like an Oil can Henrys would do? Just curious. Thanks for the input. Ill keep my fingers crossed.
That would be something they would try to convince you to do. DO NOT DO IT. A power flush will ruin a Honda trans.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Good info. Thanks guys. Looks like a should stick with the dealer on the tranny flush. I will probably do it around 100K. Also do the timing belt and water pump. Im not sure if any of this was done since I bought the car. The last recorded service was the 60,000 mile service at a dealer.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Doesn't have to be a dealer, but if you like your dealer that's great.

Drain & fill the transmission is easier than changing oil. If you do your own oil changes, you can do this. Seems to me there's a DIY post about it.

Honda auto-transmissions don't like to have fluid pumped through by an external pump. That's what "power-flushing" does. When a Honda dealer says "flush" the trans, they should drain & fill it. Anyone else you have to really ask what do they really mean.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM

IMHO, the AT transmissions on these cars are junk. I bought my 2001 Accord new and it now has 184k on it. Transmission was replaced by dealer at 95k under warranty second one is going now. The first go around I just followed honda's recommended service intervals for transmission. This second transmission I babied because I knew if it went I would be paying for it, drained and refilled using only Honda ATF at every other oil change. Didnt matter it is now done.

I would encourage you to take your Accord in to your Honda dealership and ask them to do a thorough check of the transmission, who knows they may replace it for free because the dealer gets the money for the replacement from AHM so the dealer actually makes money on the deal. GL, I hope you bought one with a good transmission because I didnt. The rest of the car is solid, just change the oil and timing belts per maintenance intervals and you should be golden.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM

On a 4 cylinder model, you are less likely to have tranny problems. I would still change the fluid every 30k miles or so, using the new Honda DW-1 fluid.

Quick Reply: Am I doomed with my automatic tranny?!