General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I overthinking this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Default Am I overthinking this?

So I performed another ATF drain/fill today after I was finally able to remove the stripped drain plug last week (thanks AAMCO). For some reason I couldn't get a good read on the dipstick, so I put the old drained fluid into an empty oil jug with 1 qt hash marks on it to to measure everything out. A hair over 3 qts came out (more than the listed 2.6 qts probably since I had the front end jacked up) and I put a little less than 3 qts back in to account for any old motor oil residue still left in the jug that may elevate the final reading. I took the car out for a spin to warm everything up and pulled the dipstick to find it a smidgen over the full mark. By smidgen, I mean a small amount over the max. I don't know how that works because I thought putting in the same amount you took out was a fool proof way to get an accurate dipstick reading. Should I just fuggedaboutit and move on? The trans shifts fine and all but I'm a little worried about fluid expansion in the summer time, though today was in the mid-70s here.

Last edited by mclasser; 04-24-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mclasser
By smidgen, I mean a small amount over the max.
Should I just fuggedaboutit and move on? The trans shifts fine and all
but I'm a little worried ...
I'd move on to the next worry.