General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another idle problem no answer yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Default Another idle problem no answer yet

I am currently working on my sisters 98 Accord LX 2.3 stick. It needed brakes so I replaced pads and rotors. I cleaned throttle body by taking it off and using a carb cleaner damp rag and wiping it out. I replaced the PCV valve, new plugs, dist. cap and button. Air filter was replaced as well as the o2 sensor at manifold. I added some lucas injector cleaner and my sister was off to the gas station. Next day check engine light came on with 1k to 1500 loping idle. Batt. cable pulled no light but still loping idle. I did powerwash motor when I was done as I did change oil and filter. What did I do wrong. OH did also did plugs and wires.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Another idle problem no answer yet

did you go through the steps in the DIY section for surging idle? what kind of plugs did you put in?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM

NGK's as that is what she had in them. I was looking at some photos on one of the help answers but was not sure if this was the same for my application.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 PM

I went over the DIY and the 2 posts I read did not seem to be for my year car. I guess I will keep searching on here for some answers.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM

P.S. I have been going through the past posts and what I havefound is what seems to apply to the mid 90's model Accord. I am working on my sisters 98 with the 2.3 V Tech and although the photos are somewhat close what is described in some of the posts is not on this car. I can understand some of the members frustration with asking the same question again and again but I was thinking of this asa help forum. Not every problem or car is the same.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 PM

What ever is plugged in to the top of the throttle body I pulled it when the car was making the surge while in neutral. As soon as I pulled that plug the car ran perfect (idleing).

Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM

the map sensor? plug that back in silly.

since you removed the throttle body from the car, did you install a new gasket and torque it properly? if not, go to the dealer and buy a throttle body gasket. install it and don't overtighten it.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM

I guess I should of made it a little more clear sorry. I did install a new throttle body gasket and torque it to correct specs. What I was saying is when the cars idle was up and down I pulled the connector to the map sensor and the car idle perfectly. I plug it back in and it runs perfect for a short time and then back to the up and down idle again. I am going to replace the map sensor and see what happens.
P.S. Hondatech NICE credentials!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM

my credentials? lies...lol, i'm just a 7yr old kid.

do you have access to a digital multimeter? if so, measure the voltage of the red/grn and grn/white wires with the key on. is it about 2.88v? start the car, is it around .88v-.92v(optimal)or as high as 1.00v?

Old 12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reset the ECU. The 95 had a radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box and pulling for a minute reset the ECU. I don't know if the 98 Accords have the same fuse.

If you ever get a check engine light, you should go to autozone to find out that code.

Quick Reply: Another idle problem no answer yet