General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another Rough idle after Timing belt thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Default Another Rough idle after Timing belt thread!

Ok Guy's so I did my timing belt this weekend on my 96 Accord following All Data to the Tee. Double and tripple check timing at the cam crank and balance shafts before buttoning up the front cover etc. So I start it up she fires and runs on cold idle then once warm it's as if it's miss fireing? Wtf did I do wrong here? This is my first go round with a rice engine have one plenty of American cams etc. Am I off a Tooth? What went wrong? Anyone have this sort of issue?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Is the check engine light turning on when the car starts misfiring? Check for codes anyways. You can hook up an OBD2 reader, or short the OBD1 connector. See common diy thread on top of gen tech help forum on how to check engine codes.

EDIT: Did you drain the coolant? Did you open the bleeder valve when refilling the system? Did you allow the air to escape?

One more question, is the a 4 or 6 cylinder accord?

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-14-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM

That's the 1st thing that I looked for was a cel and the dash light did not come on. Not sure if there I code stored? I can borrow my neighbers Diagnostic checker tomorow and see if anything is stored? The car has almost 250k and has been sitting for a couple weeks. I'm wondering if somthing else has malfunction? I can swear that the timing should be there,then again it was my 1st time doing this job....4cyl 2.2 I was in the process of doing that procedure when the idle started acting strange so I shut it down quickly to avoid any damage figuring that air in the system couldn't possibly be causing the idle issues that I am experiencing...

Last edited by schoust; 04-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

The OBD1 way is very quick. It just takes a piece of wire or a paper clip.

That was smart that you shut down the car when there was trouble.

There are some common errors that may happen on the tension pulley that you might want to check. You should also check your marks on the cam and crank.

I attached a pic of the tension pulley. It shows the front and back of the tensioner.

There should be no bolt installed where the red arrow is pointing when you are finished. The only reason to install a bolt there is to remove tension from the belt when you are removing it.

The hole where the green arrow is pointing sits on a metal pivot that is on the engine block. This allows the tension pulley to properly rotate around a point. Here is a good thread describing the issue.https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...warning-22046/

Attached Thumbnails Another Rough idle after Timing belt thread!-accord-tension.jpg  

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-15-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM

I know for a fact that all was where it should Have been as far as the lining up goes. so I understand cam timing that is why I rotated the engine over a few times to be sure that all was well and aligned. I dono......

Last edited by schoust; 04-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM

You drained the coolant, right? Did you open the bleeder bolt, when you poured the coolant in? If not, drain the coolant back out, open the bleeder bolt, and pour coolant back in until coolant comes out the bleeder bolt. Is the tensioner installed correctly, as PA described?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 PM

I was in the process of doing just that when the engine came off of the high idle circuit then imeadiatly began to idle roughly at a much lower
Rpm though,not wanting to blow it up I shut it down imeadiatly.. Now I need to figure Out what cylinder is the culprit?? I was talking to another person on a differant forum and he told me that the balancer's are not very good and have been known to slip? Have any of you Guy's had that happen? Anyone have any sugestions on the best way to determin this??

Old 04-15-2013, 11:25 PM

Hey pa Honda, not tryin to jack the thread but I got a wiggly timing belt. The thread u posted was for PS belt, got the one for timing belt?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Fixed the link. I would start a new thread, because having two vehicles with possible different problems, makes things confusing. Be as detailed as possible in your thread.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

OP- Was this work done to prevent a timing belt failure or was this done after the old belt broke?

Quick Reply: Another Rough idle after Timing belt thread!