General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anther honda!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default anther honda!

Just purchased a 96 Civic sedan LX automatic that needs a bit of TLC.

Need an alternator, & brakes all around, been sitting for about a year but started right up with a set of jumper cables hooked up to my beast of a pickup.

???? How do I know what type of Alternator I need and what TYPE of motor I have ??? so I can go ahead and order a remand/new alternator thru rock auto or even the parts store???

Car has 235,xxx miles was a friends car that he parked after inheriting another newer civic from his aunt that moved overseas.

Sorry may sound a bit silly to ask a general ? like this but I'm used to GM cars n trucks & not Hondas. Don't get me wrong I've owned a few Accords, '84,'87,89,94's, in the past & was happy with them, but switched over when my younger brother went to work for the General. Now I'm just enjoying the fact that it takes almost 3 weeks to empty a tank of fuel in the '98 Accord & that I'm ectatic about!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

There is a VIN decoder, sticky at the top of a few sections that you can try. Or register the car with Honda - there is a site you can do this from, free - and it should give you all of the details ? that you need.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

The on-line parts places like Majestic
(www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com)
... often let you enter the car's VIN when you search for parts. Then (I think) it'll only show the proper parts. It's more specific than just saying 98 LX 4-door automatic.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

poorman212 & Jim Blake a world of thanks, you just made it a million times easier to get both of my "new" cars the parts they need and the correct 1z to boot.

Thanks