General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anti Freeze Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Default Anti Freeze Questions

Hello,

Have a 2005 Accord, 6 cyl. version.
Can't find manual, so would like to ask here.

Questions re Anti-Freeze, please:

Is it O.K. to use that Prestone 50-50 % mix to top off the plastic overflow tank when it appears a bit low ?

Or is it "really" necessary to use the Honda labeled stuff, or is the typical Prestone anti freeze yellow jug sold most everywhere fine ?

A lot cheaper.
The Prestone says on their label "for any and all cars," etc.

BTW: is it O.K. to add the anti freeze to that white plastic jug that I think is called an overflow tank when it is a bit low (usually in the hot summer months), or should one (only) add to the metal radiator itself (when cold) ?

I have always been adding to the plastic jug, but have been wondering lately if I am doing it correctly ?

My understanding has been that if the radiator needs more, it just siphons it from the white plastic jug; is this correct ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 05-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not a big fan of mixing antifreeze types. The anti-corrosion packages don't always play nice with each other. For topping off, get the Honda stuff. When you drain & rinse completely, then you can use the other stuff.

Usually, adding to the white reservoir is OK. But it's good to check the radiator itself occasionally. A bad radiator cap can lead to the radiator being empty while the overflow reservoir is full. One way to check is squeeze the radiator hoses when it's all cold. You can feel the difference - if there's any air in there you'll hear/feel it sloshing.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if coolant keeps on being low you need to find out the reason why.......
have you checked for leaks ??

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM

I use Prestone. There is an additive called WETTER WATER, I often use in heat; there are other brands. What a difference, "Been there done that"...helps prevents overheating. Just for info: My son uses (trans-am) AMSOIL antifreeze, must be high tech stuff - runs cool, gauge stays lower after the change, must have additives. What do you think?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if the coolant used from the factory is long life or standard? From what I understand, the long life should be good for about 5 years without changing. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:41 PM

As long as there are no issues with your cooling system, you should be able to keep it in there as long as it doesnt evaporate. Even the long life stuff wont always last as long as they say it is. We bought a 68 mustang a few years back, that had been sitting in a man's field since the late 70's, and the radiator was still full, the motor had been filled entirely with oil, and the gas tank was full... Had to replace alot of stuff, but the guy said he had not touched it since it had been sitting...