General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Any ideas on this problem?

Still no recreation of the weird idle. However, the weird noise coming from the fan has gotten worse. It now sounds like a constant clicking coming from the fan (drivers side fan.) It almost soundsthesame asthe clicking soundcaused by a faulty CV Axle when you turn the wheel. I can hear it if I am pulling away from my driveway and my wife is leaving thegarage, a good 50 feet or so away. Does this mean the fan motor may be going out? Any idea how to figure out WTF iscausing the fan tomake all that noise? The noise is driving me crazy[sm=outcold.gif]

Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Usually clicking from a fan motor is the sound of brushes bouncing on the armature, but this is not very loud. Noise usually means the fan's days are very limited. It could also be the fan bushings are loose and the fan blade is hitting the shroud or armature is hitting the field magnets. This will also cause the brushes to wear rapidly due to armature wobble. Either way, I would start looking for a replacement fan motor. Ebay has some good prices on Accord fan replacement motors and entire fan/shroud assys.

good luck

Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Check what Texas says, & also check to see whether the fan shroud or fan blades are bent or warped. Just in case the motor's OK & the nose comes from fan blades hitting their surroundings.

Make sure it's cool enough so there's no risk of the fan suddenly turning on. Try to wobble the fan sideways or pull/push the fan as if you were trying to make the motor shaft slide straightin & out. Any motion would mean the motor is bad.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM

OK I'll check tonight. Thanks guys

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM

Well. It's definitely the fan on the drivers side. The fan will push & pull towards and away from the engine. It also does not spin very easily by hand as the passenger side fan does. When the engine is cranked (AC on) both fans run and it is obvious the noise is coming from the drivers side fan. Looking at it spinning while engine is running you can wobble. I could not see anything obstructing the fan causing the rattle/noise. When spun by handyou can tell it's not hitting anything. I fear it is the motor. I trust you JimBlake, does this mean the motor is bad? Or is there some type of bad bearing in there?I have neverdealt withfans before, so this is new territory to me.
Look like the car may be living up to its name

Old 10-15-2007, 08:46 PM

OK so I just re-read TexasHonda's post as well as JimBlake's again. Looks like I'm looking for a new fan motor. Here's a link to some I see at Advance Auto Parts' website: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...ator+Fan+Motor
I haven't had any luck on eBay (stupid 2.7l V6[:@])
MajesticHonda wants $147.44 for the fan motor alone! http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IATOR+%28V6%29
Advance has a new (aftermarket) fan assembly with shroud, motor and blade for around $115.
Should I only replace the motor? Or should I replace the whole assembly? (I do realize I may need to make the call for myself on this one)
OEM or is aftermarket OK?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

call auto zone they might have one . all you got to do is to cut the wiring with the connector from the old fan and splice it intop the wiring in the new fan,, make sure to splice them correctly ( power and ground ) or ther fan will spin the opposite direction . being a v6, the driver side fan is the main radiator fan ..

Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Thanks dh. I'll check AZ. Funny thing is, around here Advance is usually cheaper, or they will match the cheapest price in town. That's why I've been using them more often.
I assume you mean to buy the whole assembly seeing how easily it will install. Sounds pretty simple to me (Although I guess I didn't really expect an electric fan to be too difficult to replace, but I have learned not to ever underestimate things.) Besides trying to find clearance to move things around in the cramped engine bay.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

auto zone only sells the motor ,, if you want the whole assembly ( fanblade, shroud ) you might have to get it from a radiator shop..
you can get those at around 80-90 dollars complete assembly .. fan motor alone is around 40-50 dollars .

Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Well. It's definitely the fan on the drivers side. The fan will push & pull towards and away from the engine. It also does not spin very easily by hand as the passenger side fan does. When the engine is cranked (AC on) both fans run and it is obvious the noise is coming from the drivers side fan. Looking at it spinning while engine is running you can wobble. I could not see anything obstructing the fan causing the rattle/noise. When spun by handyou can tell it's not hitting anything. I fear it is the motor. I trust you JimBlake, does this mean the motor is bad? Or is there some type of bad bearing in there?I have neverdealt withfans before, so this is new territory to me.
Look like the car may be living up to its name
Yes themotor is badbased on this description. But you already know that from your conversation with Desert...

I've taken motors apart to clean out crud,but usually can't find individual replacement parts. Desert will know about that better than me.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on this problem?