General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anybody out there? 2nd Try!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 AM
buzzforb
Unregistered
Default Anybody out there? 2nd Try!

I need help. i have not been able to diagnose my problem using other threads. I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX (Manual). It would not start the other morning so I charged the battery. It was fully charged and showed a 13 volt reading. The car still would not start. It only made a single click when the ignition was turned. We got the car started by push starting it. It idled find. When i got in it to leave evertything was ok until my first stop light. When I put the car in neutral to come to a stop it stalled on me. i was able to start it again by popping the cltch. From that point on i had to keep the rpms up to keep it from stalling when i stopped. Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Anybody out there? 2nd Try!

If the starter clicks every time you turn to Start, the starter solenoid is worn out.

The starter solenoid can be repaired on many Accords. A google search will turn up instructions and pics on replacement of starter solenoid contacts. You'll have to remove your contacts and match them to online pics to order correct contacts. Try sherco-auto.com for contacts.

Or you can just pay an auto electrical shop to rebuild your starter. This will cost more than buying a cheap rebuild at AZ, Oriellys, Pepboys, et al, but you'll have a better starter.

good luck

Old 01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You will get a much better response from the forum if you do the following:

1) Add a signature that includes your car info so we don't have to search through the thread to find out that we've all wasted time researching issues for the wrong car.

2) Title your thread with something that has some meaning. This one would be better served by a title like, "Car starting & stalling issues .... battery is ok"

3) (PREEMPTIVE) Don't get offended or defensive about the 2 things noted above ..... it's just not a good idea.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

it is really easy to replace the starter contacts, they are usually under $20 for the set.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/762ABBA7B48345C4BF0B82E5B17BCBA2.jpg[/IMG]