General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anyone cut their own fuel pump access?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Anyone cut their own fuel pump access?

I have to change the fuel pump on my 95 accord, the car has 354,000 miles on it, so things are a tad rusty underneath. I'm thinking cutting my own access would be much easier than dropping the tank. I'm dealing with a torn pectoral right now so not working on my back is a big plus. Have any of you done this? I know honda usually has access panels already but not for my car unfortunatley.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

I noticed this was done on a 96 at a you-pull-it junkyard. I only saw the aftermath, so I don't know what challenges this will present.

I think pulling the fuel hoses through the access hole or disconnecting the hoses from the pump without damaging them will be the challenge.

There are some plastic covers over the fuel tank straps that may have prevented them from being too rusty. If you are injured, I wouldn't try doing the tank. Get someone to help with that stuff. It isn't worth re-injuring yourself.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Was the hole cut in the 96 inside the trunk or in the area where the backseat is?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

I think that it was in the trunk.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Got my access done, so easy. It's right up against where the backseat would be if it weren't folded down. There was a small hole in the body already, it probably use to have a plug in it. I just started cutting from there, plenty of room. I sprayed some pb blaster on the nuts, I'll knock it out this weekend. I'm going to get another pump from a junk yard, it will probably last longer than whatever Autozone will sell me and cost me 15% of the price. Are the pumps for these 94-97 accords all the same?

Last edited by SVTMike; 07-17-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm now I am tempted. I want to upgrade to a walbro 255 but didn't want to have to drop the tank but this looks pretty easy.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Hmmm now I am tempted. I want to upgrade to a walbro 255 but didn't want to have to drop the tank but this looks pretty easy.
Go for it, if you took a little extra time and did it with a cutting wheel it would fold right back down. You could seal it up and it would be a clean install.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM

This looks pretty legit, could be done in a very clean way and make access so much easier!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 AM

I dont mean to thread jack but, svtmike, I have a question. How much space do you think is there from the top of the banjo bolt on the main line up to the body's sheet metal? Im making a new custom line with a 90 degree an swivel end and i need to know if ill have enough room. Honestly cutting that hole looks like an awesome idea. Im just worried about sealing it back up!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

People have done the same thing on 1st-gen Saab 9.3 cars. You can seal it up with duct tape, or get fancy with a sheet-metal plate & screws & rubber gasket (my 95 Integra had a cover plate).

My major worry would be corrosion, so get some rust-proofing goop & apply it where you cut.

Quick Reply: Anyone cut their own fuel pump access?