General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have wheel bearing instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Default Anyone have wheel bearing instructions?

2003 Sedan 4cyl auto

So I have a "rumbling" noise coming from the front. Probably wheel bearing, maybe CV shaft?

Anyway, I plan to do it myself either way but wanted to see if anyone has the instructions from the Honda service manual or maybe Haynes? I know it is going to be a pain to do it so I want all the help I can get.

I plan on having a breaker bar, bearing puller tool, and impact screw driver for the rotors. Anything else you recommend?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think the axle nut is 36mm. Drive something into the axle's slot to push out the part of the nut that's staked into the slot. Then put a big screwdriver into the rotor's vents so it blocks up against the caliper braket. Then you can loosen the axle nut.

You'll want to remove the brake caliper & rotor, leaving the hub (#6).

Remove the knuckle by separating the 3 balljoints (upper, lower, & tierod). Or at least separate enough so you can get the axle out from the hub.

Press or drive the hub #6 out of the bearing #5. Sometimes the bearing separates, leaving one cone on the hub. You'll need some way to drive that off the hub, like a thin blade-type bearing puller to get behind the cone.

Remove the #21 snap ring. It's pretty stout so you'll need a big snap-ring pliers.

Drive out the bearing.

Press the new bearing in & reverse all the rest of the stuff.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm not so clear on how the hub is pulled off... Maybe it will become clear when I take everything apart?

So I can't seem to find the exact tool I need. It's supposed to look something like this? Where can I buy it?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

To be sure the noise is a wheel bearing, you can drive at hwy speed and slightly steer side to side to see if the noise changes as you load and unload the bearings.

You might want to call around parts stores and see if they can loan or rent a hub puller kit.
The kits aren't cheap $200-$300.
The other option is to remove the entire knuckle and make an appt at your local machine shop to have the bearings pressed out and in.

Last edited by hondadude; 03-02-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM

I'll try the noise test. It is weird because it will be vibrating my steering wheel a bit and making the noise and after a while it will stop vibrating the wheel and sound gets lower. All this while I have the cruise control set. One day I took a very hard right turn and the vibration and sound got severe for 5 minutes and then went away. I tried the turn again later on and nothing happened...

Can you link me to the tool? I am kind of stubborn in that I like to try and do things myself even if it ends up costing me more...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

I had a bad wheelbearing (not a Honda) that didn't change with steering. I thought it sounded like loud knobby tires, & I just bought new snow tires so I blamed it on the tires. When I put the summer tires back on it didn't go away... SO the steering thing isn't always absolute.

In my picture, the hub (#6) presses into (or out of) the bearing. If you use a tool like your picture, you need another cup behind, out of view, where the CV joint was located. But that cup must be small enough to fit THROUGH the bearing. That cup will pull the hub out from the middle of the bearing. (When the axle is installed, the axle nut holds it together.)

Then you remove that snap ring. Then find another cup, large enough to pull the bearing itself out of the knuckle.

Just for completeness, here's a picture of the knuckle. The bearing & snap ring fit into the big hole. They both come out towards you, but the hub has to be removed first.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Try google search "OTC hubtamer"

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM

My friend has air tools and said he has all the cups and washer and big screw to put the new bearing in but he doesn't have the bracket thing to pull the bearing out. The thing labeled "puller housing" in the picture above.

Is there any way I could buy just that piece to complete his set?

I ordered the 2003 accord service manual so hopefully I can be of some help around here in the future.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM

I took apart the driver side today. I wanted to be sure it was the bearing before I went any further, and I am glad I checked. I was able to spin the passenger wheel didn't spin freely but I easily turned with one hand, but the driver side I had trouble even with both hands.

I think I have a sticking caliper. I took apart the brakes and found my pad has a crack in the middle and seems to be missing materials on the sides. Check this picture out.

This would kind of make sense why the sound seems to somewhat go away after driving on the highway for a while. And also explain the hard vibrations after hard braking.

What is your guys opinion?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Is it normal for only one wheel to spin when the car is in the air?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbIrEOBBVY

Quick Reply: Anyone have wheel bearing instructions?