General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Gearbox problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Auto Gearbox problem...

Hi there, i now have a new problem... Recently, i changed my auto gearbox oil.. Now every time i m coming to a stop, i the car seems to jerk wen it goes to 1st gear just before i come to a complete stop.. I tink i might hav added to much auto oil so i drained some of it.. But the problem still persist.. Please help..

Can anytng be done? Does this mean my gearbox is toast? OMG! It will cost a fortune to change or repair it in my country...

Old 12-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Tell us a bit about your vehicle. For instance, is it a Honda, an Accord, Rolls Royce Phantom, or what?

Previous maintenance history, etc.

good luck

Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I my driving a Honda Accord CL7..
I have been using the same type of auto transmission oil since i 1st got the car 4years ago. It was a brand new car. Change my engine oil every 10,000km and my transmission oil every 40,000km.. My car's mileage is now 190,000+ km.
I have never overhauled my engine or my gearbox before. I used engine flush before my oil change but i never had any gearbox flushing before.
My service manual don't say how much trans oil to put but most say its 3 litres and that was how much i used.

oh and another thing, after i put the car at "P", when its hot, I cant shift it to engage "R" or "N" or even "D"...

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Question |Hi Put In Your Country In Location Box

That's so that we might be able to help you better.
Check with your dealer to see what Fluid you were supposed to use and then if you remember...see what you actually put in the trans..could have
put in the wrong sauce

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 AM

By all accounts, Hondas are senstive to the selected auto trans fluid (ATF) and use of Honda ATF Z-1 is recommended. If you've used anything else, this might affect transmission shift quality.

Your maintenance schedule seems reasonable, perhaps conservative on ATF change interval.

Is the idle speed staying high as you come to a stop? If yes, this might cause an abrupt, noticeable downshift.

There could be transmission faults. Have you checked for any OBD2 codes? In previous models, some faults did not set the Check Engine Light, but I don't know about your model.

good luck

Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes TexasHonda, i hav been using Honda ATF Z1 (which is actually Idemitsu oil) since day 1..
Funny u mentioned Check Engine Light, today the CEL came on and i checked it and it says P0122... I checked n it says TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor).. Could it be i placed it at a wrong angle? Coz i did remove it once when i took out my TB to clean it.. I also took out the IACV... But this was last month and why only now does it come up with this code?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 PM

I checked 2003-2007 Accord 4-cylinder manual and it does indicate the APP (accelerator pedal position?) is adjustable. It also shows a replacement procedure.

You will need a scanner that shows pedal position output to obd2 system to perform checks on APP system. It should be a 2% or less in slack position. If more than 2%, it should be adjusted w/ throttle cable to below 2%.

You might check your work to make sure you didn't accidentally misposition the APP sensor.

good luck

Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I hav a ScanGaugeII and am using it... Not sure what u mean by APP but the scanner has a TPS reading on it and when i select it, it show "9" when i am at a stop position and on "P".. What does that mean? Does it mean 9%? So do i adjust it to let the scanner show "2"?

Is the APP another name for the TPS? Its the black tingy at the side of the throttle body that has 2 screws where you can loosen and then tilt it clockwise or counter clockwise, right?

Thanks TexasH.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 AM

I'm looking at a 2003-2007 Accord manual. Your European brand, made in Japan, may be different. APP is accelerator pedal postion, not terribly different from throttle plate position. Since you have the code, I would try to adjust, particularly if the TPS holes are slotted to allow other adjustments.

Usually, the TPS measure voltage but your scanguage may be different. Suggest looking at your scangauge manual for some help.

good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Difference between APP and TPS is whether the car has motorized throttle. Older cars (up to about 2005 or so) have normal mechanical throttle. My 2007 Civics have motorized throttle so they have APP. Not sure right now what year Accord switched over to motorized throttle.

Quick Reply: Auto Gearbox problem...