General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Shifter locking and not changing gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Default Automatic Shifter locking and not changing gears

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with a 4 cylinder engine and an automatic transmission. The shifter is locking in place and not allowing us to shift it. I am told that there is a switch or something around the brake pedal I need to replace? Where is the switch located? What does it look like? How do I replace it? Where can I purchase it inexpensively...Autozone? Advance Auto? O'Reilleys?

Please let me know...

Randy 2003 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder Automatic Transmission

Old 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

It's really an interlock system. The switch down at the brake pedal is the same one for the brake lights at the back of the car. If those lights work, then the switch is OK.

That leaves the wiring, maybe a relay, and a solenoid release-catch near the base of the shift lever. Do you hear a soft clicking sound at the shift lever (when you press the brake pedal)?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Good question. I will check on clicking question this evening and get back to you. So, the brake light switch would have nothing to do with the shifter locking???

Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

The brake light switch will have EVERYTHING to do with the shifter locking. But what I mean is IF that brake switch were broken, the brake lights wouldn't work either.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 AM

Okay, I checked to see if the brake lights were working last night and they are not coming on when the brakes are pressed. So, do you think I should go ahead and replace the brake light switch as a logical next step? Thanks for the help!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You might try inspecting the switch and pushing the brake while observing. If the switch does not extend (spring driven) as the brake is pressed, the switch may be sticking. Sometimes a dose of WD40 and manual movements of switch will free the action and permanently repair.

If not replace the switch w/ OEM switch from Honda.

good luck

Old 09-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Take a look at the switch.
- sometimes they are visibly broken
- sometimes the wiring plug comes loose

I don't have a wiring drawing (maybe someone will chime in here). There's probably 2 pins to the wiring harness plug; short them together with a paperclip.
*IF* that makes the brake lights come on, and releases the shift lever, then replace the switch.

edit...
Tex beat me to it. Tex, do you have a wiring drawing for your 2007? maybe the same wire colors at the brake light switch?

Last edited by JimBlake; 09-16-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The wires are red and wht/blk. It's a 4-wire switch, probably w/ only these two wires. Short the pins for these two wires for the test Jim described.

You find this switch by looking at brake pedal arm. The switch should be aligned w/ rear side of the arm so that as pedal is pressed arm moves away from switch.

good luck

Old 09-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure but you might need the key ON during this test.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Okay friends, I just replaced the brake light switch and this solved the problem. The switch was easy to replace. It actually took me longer to figure out how to pull down the lower dash board cover than it did to replace the brake light switch. Now, its on to other things like why the cigarette lighter plug in the dash is not working. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Quick Reply: Automatic Shifter locking and not changing gears