General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Automatic Trans problem

I have a 1994 Accord with 230,000 the trans started to shift strange, revving between shifts then after warming up, shifting eracticly then after adding lucas trans fix it got worse, it would start out then slip,I would have to come to a stop, shut it down then it woulddrive but come to a stop it would move then start slipping. Once cooled off it would be fine on the open highway cruising at 70 and no slip.I did change the fluid a few hundred miles ago using Honda atf fluid. No idiot lights flashing. Any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Default RE: Automatic Trans problem

That is a tranny problem my friend..... Best way is to rebuilt it or replace it with a new one.... I used to have an auto prelude and it did the same thing so I replace the tranny and everything work out fine. Sorrie no other advise.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I guess what I don't understand is how come it will work fine sometimes. My experience has been when the trans goes it goes.
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How did you change the fluid? How many times? Have you checked that there is enough in there now? Any leaks? Burnt fluid?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I changed it once a few weeks ago. I noticed if I pull the top solenoid connection off that it has no effect at all, where as if I disconnect the bottom solenoid the tranny goes nuts. I'm thinking that maybe the top one is bad. Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Sounds like a good diagnosis, but still check the condition of the fluid. A full change is not possible with a Honda, but 3 in a row will get rid of 70% of the old crap.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Sounds like a good diagnosis,
No offense my friend but that's a TERRIBLE diagnose, especailly when he has no clue why or what he is doing..

the top solenoids are the lock up solenoids they do not activate till 4th gear is engaged about 40- 45 mph
the lower solenoids are the sfifts solenoids you unplug those and tranny has some issues immediately ..( tranny goes nuts ) ..like you said

You can try replacing the fluid, use a product made by BG,, tranny kit, it has a detergent and a treatment,, ( add the detergent to the tranny,do not replace fluid yet ,, drive the car for about 20-25 miles, drain the tranny fluid, add 2 1/2 qts of fluid Honda ATF-Z1 + the can of treatment,, drive car normally and hopefully it will fix the issue ,,,, you can try removing the solenoids and clean the passages on the tranny and the screens,,
if you see any metal shaving or a lot of fiber particles on the screens,, tranny is toast,,
But I stll have a feeling that you got internal tranny issues ,, for your sake I hope that I am wrong ..

Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM

ok, you got me ..... I was thinking in terms of trannies that use multiple solenoids for gear changes as opposed to engagement like Hondas[sm=headbang.gif]

makes sense that the LO solenoid wouldn't do anything here. I've never really looked at the diagrams for these trannies.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 AM

LOL .... all thanks go to DH here!

Quick Reply: Automatic Trans problem