General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autp tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Auto tranny slipping

My son has a 98 4 cyl auto with 150K. transmission is slipping in all gears, forward and reverse. Showing codes 0730,0740, and 1739. First two are trans malfunction and last trans failure. He is working part time and cannot afford a new car, but if trans is junk it would cost more than the car did ($1650) to repair. Is it possible that a clutch pressure switch could cause slippage in all the gears?. Any advice would be appreciated. Larry

Last edited by larrypac99; 07-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0730 - Fails to shift, faulty shift control system.
P0740 - Lock up control system hydraulic fault
P1739 - fault in 3rd clutch pressure switch circuit.

These don't look good to repair and the 98-01 series of Accords had problems w/ the auto trans.

Lowest cost repair is likely to find a good (how to know?) used transmission.

I checked ebay and found a low miles JDM transmission for $600 plus shipping cost. You will likely spend about that much to install. So perhaps $1200-$1500 for used transmission.

I saw several used 98 accords for just a little more, and certainly used cars are available in this price range. Unless you are really pleased w/ body, interior, etc, it may be time to think about selling for parts ($300-$500) and going for a better used car. I would avoid this generation accord. The 90-93 and 94-97 generations are better IMO.

good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default fluid

When he first started having some issues with the trans, about a month ago, I checked the fluid for him and it was fine, although the car was not on dead level ground, maybe pitched forward 4-6". Yesterday I told him to check it again and apparently it is not even on the dipstick. Can't get Honda atf until Monday. Hopefully transmission is not wrecked. Any speculation? Larry

Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest buying 7 qts of Honda ATF and replacing all the fluid. The remaining fluid may be overheated due to small volume. See following link:

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

If you don't want to try this, suggest draining any remaining fluid in the trans reservoir (remove drain bolt and allow to drain). Then add 2.5 qts of Honda ATF. This leaves some of old ATF in the trans torque converter. This can only be removed by linked procedure.

If you decide to remove all the fluid, drain the reservoir, install 2.5 qts of Honda ATF to begin. Total capacity is 6.3 qts.

good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I would suggest buying 7 qts of Honda ATF and replacing all the fluid. The remaining fluid may be overheated due to small volume. See following link:

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

If you don't want to try this, suggest draining any remaining fluid in the trans reservoir (remove drain bolt and allow to drain). Then add 2.5 qts of Honda ATF. This leaves some of old ATF in the trans torque converter. This can only be removed by linked procedure.

If you decide to remove all the fluid, drain the reservoir, install 2.5 qts of Honda ATF to begin. Total capacity is 6.3 qts.

good luck

I would not suggest this at all. and here is why.

I experianced the same thing with my trans at 145k and did a trans fluid change and the day after was when things got much worse.

The transmission is failing no doubt about that. You can try additives but if you drain all the fluid you can remove some of the crap that is helping it stay together. tell your son to drive it very lightly, slow accelerations and let off gently during shifts.

I started noticing hard shifts into 1st at stops then after a fluid change it slipped in 1st and 2nd. within a week it took longer and longer to find 1st gear at a stop and finally would not engage first at all.

Your son needs to either get ready for a rebuild or find a new form or transportation. I hate to say it but there is not magic bullet here.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM

only add fluid at this point if it is actually low. if that solves the problem then a change could be in order.

The glue honda used on the auto clutches is a weak point, also the bearing guides in the case are aluminum get destroyed. This is where the shaking and non-engagement comes from. We call it peanut butter aluminum.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

I always thought the bearing was the only problem on these transmissions. I didn't realize that the clutch discs had problems too.

Honda really did screw up with the 98-02 automatic transmissions.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default update

Today I bought some valvoline maxlife dex/merc and put 1.5 qt in before it was up to the line on dipstick. Drove it a bit and it slipped some at first but got better. After a few miles of driving it was not showing on dipstick so i jacked it up and wiped off all the atf then started it up and looked for leaks but could not pinpoint it. Seemed to be wet even above the cv boots. What are the possible / likely locations for a leak this bad? Larry

Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM

could be out the axle ports... and btw dex/merc is the wrong kind of fluid. hondas use ATF-z

Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default dex merc

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
could be out the axle ports... and btw dex/merc is the wrong kind of fluid. hondas use ATF-z

I researched dex merc vs honda atf and though many people advised against it, others said they had used it for years with no issues. In addition I saw no point in driving 25 miles to carquest before knowing if fluid would even solve the problem. If we can find and fix the leak, we'll think about changing the fluid out for Honda atf. Larry

Quick Reply: Autp tranny slipping