General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

aux cord not working with iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 AM
Unhappy aux cord not working with iPhone

Hey, I have a 2009 Accord Coupe and I just bought an aux cord to listen to music in my car from an iPhone. But the problem is it won't work..when I connect the cord from the car to the iPhone I can hear some static through the car speakers, so I do know it's working, but when I click play on a song, it plays through my phone and not through the car speakers.

Any ideas or suggestions about how to fix this? The aux cord works just fine with my iPod, just not with the iPhone. :-/

Old 02-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

not positive but pretty sure theres something about the i-phone that does this, since you say it works with your ipod and not phone, id say maybe go to att and ask.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by status
go to att and ask.
The iPhone is an Apple product, not AT&T. You're best best is to go to Honda and ask, because this is weird. The iPhone/iPod/iPod Touch all use the same data protocol on the dock connection.

My Alpine HU is from like 2004 and was one of the first offering full iPod control (it evan has a huge box, not just a cord) and it worked with my 3G, 5.5G and now my iPod Classic, plus both iPhones (1st gen and 3G).

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Does this aux cord plug into the headphone jack of the iPhone? Or plug into the bottom like the charging cord?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

it plugs into the headphone jack of the iPhone. would that be the problem? i plug the aux cord into my ipod thru the headphone jack as well and it works just fine.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clutch34
it plugs into the headphone jack of the iPhone. would that be the problem? i plug the aux cord into my ipod thru the headphone jack as well and it works just fine.
Yes! The audio signal is analog on both devices and anything that accept analog audio will be able to interpret the signal (99.9% of all audio devices). More than likely, something is wrong with the headphone jack on the iPhone. An easy test is to try and listen to music on the iPhone with headphones or use a 3.5mm headphone jack-to-RCA converter cable and plug it into a stereo.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have some kind of jacket on the iPhone? I've got a thin rubber jacket on my iPod, & sometimes you have to be careful plugging in headphones or aux cable. The rubber jacket gets in the way & the headphone jack doesn't plug ALL the way in.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 PM

headphones work just fine..i was wearing em all day from class to class. and yes, i have a jacket on the iPhone. I pulled it off and plugged it in but to no avail. :-/

i'll try using a friend's iPhone..maybe mine is dying on me now. it has been screwing up lately..

Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Within the iPhone the contacts within the headphone jack are what tells the iPhone to send the music to the headphones vs the phone speaker. Sounds like you need help from iPhone gurus, & the problem isn't with the car. Are there any iPhone forums?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM

so i tried this same aux cord with my roommates iphone 3G and it worked just fine. i think it's just my iphone thats the problem. :-/

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: aux cord not working with iPhone