General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Awful Vibration at 70

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Default Awful Vibration at 70

I have balanced my tires, this time not at Sam's Club, I paid for it at Tires Plus. They said that whoever balanced it did a horrible job. Anyways, my vibration is still there, and I got an appointment with Honda for an oil change. My steering wheel vibrates pretty much if you go above 65, its between 65-75. If you drive 80 it doesn't vibrate however. Any ideas what the problem is?

Old 09-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Awful Vibration at 70

So you are for sure that you have no idea whatsoever the year make and model of the car you drive? Can you look at the speedo and try to figure out the miles on your creampuff?

Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 AM

could be that you need an alignment, you might have a dented rim/s, maybe your lugs arent tightened enough

Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Fenix

could be that you need an alignment, you might have a dented rim/s, maybe your lugs arent tightened enough
an out of specs alignment will not cause a shake at hwy speed.......

could be out of balance wheels,, maybe you lost a wheel weight

bent rims

bad tires

loose suspension parts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd have the wheel balance chk first

Old 09-07-2006, 11:53 PM

1999 Accord EX with 127,000 miles. I have been on this forum for a while, but anyways yeah its always a good idea to right the year. New tires put on in August, BF Goodrich had some Goodyears which were not good, so Sam's switched them out for me. Those Goodyears had bad belts. Yeah, I have read in the manual that Honda wants dynamic balancing done, I have asked others to do that, I believe they have been confused. Yeah, well its going to be taken in tomorrow for the steering wheel vibration and I am getting the oil changed. Man, this engine is great though! I hit 100 even with no problems!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

Have you asked any shop to check for bent rim? Most times there's a safety guard around the spinning tire. If you don't specifically ask, they may not actually look to see if they're straight.

The carcass of the tire might be defective. I had one like that & I got it balanced a few times before I realized what it was. The belts underneath the tread would squirm around funny as the tire rolled against the road.

Find some place with a Hunter GSP9700 balancing machine. That can find some pretty strange problems with balance & defective tires. While balancing, it presses the tire against a drum & measures variations in road-force. That's a lot better than simply balancing the wheel while it's spinning in the air. (But it costs way more...)

Old 09-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Yeah, I heard about the Hunter, I believe that some places would actually charge the same. Tires Plus was a little expensive that's for sure. I did ask Sam's to check for a bent rim, they saw none, but I am in doubt of their workmanship. I think the Honda dealer might have it, but it didn't say on the Hunter website when I checked a few days ago. It said a Nissan dealer carries it. But, I know for a fact that Honda has a training facility out in California that is gaining knowledge through the Hunter balancing machine.

By the way, what's a better car the Saab 95 or the Saab 93? I hear that the 93 is on a newer platform or something like that. the 98-00 body styles are the best! I think I might go with an Accord coupe V6 as my next car.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 PM

You know the balancing at Honda only costs $15, somewhere else they charge $36! Yeah, well it seems like it doesn't vibrate. I can try other roads, and see what happens. Anyways, you don't think a steering knuckle is bad? I think when I get tires next time I am going with Michelins!

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: accord4sroy

By the way, what's a better car the Saab 95 or the Saab 93? I hear that the 93 is on a newer platform or something like that. the 98-00 body styles are the best! I think I might go with an Accord coupe V6 as my next car.
The 9.5 is bigger & more luxury. I'm personally not into that so much. I like our 9.3 because it's the hatchback - good cargo space but doesn't look like a wagon. The 9.2x is more fun because it's really a WRX.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 PM

The WRX STI is awesome!

Quick Reply: Awful Vibration at 70