General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Default Axle Replacement

Ok, so I finally get time to work on my car again. Been having horrendous vibrations while braking, rotors are incredibly warped and pads needed replacement soon enough anyway...so make a day's project out of it. Right side done no problems (Thanks desert, nice instructions). I get to the left side all is well except for a few bolts that wouldn't budge...so I fight through it all and get the rotor done and am ready to put the knuckle all back together.

Well, it seems that the inner joint on the axle is broken. I have somewhat suspected one was on its way out heard the clicking noise and all (but not when I turn, I suspect that was because its the inner joint). I think through all the work to loosen the knuckle, etc I finally pushed it to its breaking point.

So, down to the problem...I was going to remove it to see if it was actually broke then run down the street and get another one. I looked at some posts on here and the service manual says to use a screwdriver. But, I am not really sure am I just prying it out or something else? It seems pretty well stuck in there like everything else that hasn't been touched in 16 years on this car. Can I get a bit more details on removing the inner side of the axle from the intermediate shaft? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Axle Replacement

the axle stub has a circlip retainer on it, it needs a Sharp Fast Jerk on a big pry bar,
[No JimBlake isn't coming to help you [sm=icon_rofl.gif]] I really crack me up!! LOL

Or if you can smack it with a big hammer; the circlip retainer is ina groove and needs to be popped/shocked loose.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Ok, so maybe I'm just not giving it enough force. Hell, the HONDA factory manual says pry with a screwdriver, that implies little force...

So, is this circlip something I can see and nudge out or do I just need to beat the hell outta this thing with a hammer till it slides out easily?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hondadude
[No JimBlake isn't coming to help you [sm=icon_rofl.gif]] I really crack me up!! LOL
Thanks, Dude... I try to help out where I can, but I have to let you guys have a chance too.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: fireballer44

Ok, so maybe I'm just not giving it enough force. Hell, the HONDA factory manual says pry with a screwdriver, that implies little force...

So, is this circlip something I can see and nudge out or do I just need to beat the hell outta this thing with a hammer till it slides out easily?
I've had some success w/ driving a large screwdriver w/ a hammer between axle and housing to wedge the shaft from the housing. the wedged end of the screwdriver provides enough separation to release the circlip.

good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

I just did mine on Saturday. It took me about 45 minutes each side.

I bought a crowbar that looks like this (flat and wide on the one end) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...yword=crow+bar and it popped right out after a few good licks.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM

Thanks! The prybar thing worked great I happened to have one around already from some house improvement work....popped it right out. Sure enough the inner joint is actually in two pieces.....seems the only reason I was even turning the intermediate shaft was the fully intact boot (which was replaced about 10 years ago by the original owner).

Now just the wait for a part to get to my local store and I'm back in business.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Please tell me someone is reading right now [&:]...

I got the new axle in no problem. I did have to take the fork loose to remove it and now I can't get it back together. It is kinda under a bit of tension it seems and I can't get the fork to line up with the lower control arm. Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can use a jack and raise the lower control arm a little bit. The forks are hard to line up again, just have the bolt ready in the fork so when you do get it lined up it'll go right in.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Well the strange thing is the lower control arm needs to be lowered not raised....and I can lower it a bit with my hand but its almost like the fork won't fit around it anymore. I am playing with it as we speak but been messing with it for half an hour now with 0 progress.

Quick Reply: Axle Replacement