General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axles! Making noise.. for the last 20k miles, only on turns..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Default Axles! Making noise.. for the last 20k miles, only on turns..

I kept thinking they would break if I didn't change them, but they haven't, the noise is getting just a bit worse now... But someone told me he had noise for years and didn't change his, so, what do you guys think? I pretty much think I should do it ASAP, and if anyone has any tips on how to do it that'd be great!!!

At this rate since they've held up this far, I do have to wonder if I could just repack them or something? Probably not?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

if they are making noise, they are shot. and i have seen first hand an axle break on a vehicle while it was making a turn. not a pretty site. axles are cheap money, even if you don't do it yourself. book time is 2.6 hours for both sides plus maybe 150 bucks for both axles. if you are somewhat mechanically inclined you may try it yourself.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sooner or later one of the CV joints will fail. Per many posts on the subject both here and on other forums, your best bet would be to buy new axles from the folks at www-dot-raxles-dot-com. Buying axles from your local auto parts store is a hit and miss proposition in that some units operate vibration free, and some don't. Buying new Honda axles is a good bet, but and expensive one; the Raxles axles seem to be OEM quality for a much lower price.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM

I generally try to take turns slowly and not accelerate much through them.. But I guess I am going to have to get some new ones on there soon, huh?

I e-mailed raxles for a quote but I probably can't afford them.. looks like a great product though

Does anyone know how good or bad these are? NAPA AUTO PARTS
If I can get the labor real cheap, and they have a 36mo warranty, I could live with that. .

The axles, if I leave them like they are, are they pretty unlikely to break unexpectedly when I am NOT turning? One makes the clicking on turns, the other one makes a little rumbling sound in half second intervals through turns..

I'm not terribly concerned about the safety of the vehicle so long as I'm not endangering others.... But if they might break when I'm on the highway beside someone, or something like that, I want to see to it right away

PS: Holy God RAXLES e-mailed me back FAST!!! And it was a coherent response!! $159 a corner, which prices ME out- but they obviously have a SUPERIOR product and great customer service!

Last edited by 93Accord2.2; 07-24-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Some folks have had good results w/ aftermarket rebuilt axles. I did not. I replaced my axles on both sides twice w/ Autozone axles trying to fix a "vibration under acceleration" problem. I finally bought raxles to replace AZ axles and fixed the problem.

To Autozone's credit they made good on warranty and gave me a store credit on last set I returned after installing Raxles.

I have no experience w/ Napa, but generally have found them to be higher quality than AZ, ORielly, et al.

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Some folks have had good results w/ aftermarket rebuilt axles. I did not. I replaced my axles on both sides twice w/ Autozone axles trying to fix a "vibration under acceleration" problem. I finally bought raxles to replace AZ axles and fixed the problem.

To Autozone's credit they made good on warranty and gave me a store credit on last set I returned after installing Raxles.

I have no experience w/ Napa, but generally have found them to be higher quality than AZ, ORielly, et al.

good luck
Ah, yes, the good old lifetime or however long warranty on reman parts at parts houses. What a wonderful hell that can be. If you ask me, they know that you won't call them on the warranty unless it completely messes up because most people

1. Don't want to do the labor all over again
2. Don't want to pay to have it done all over again
3. Can't even afford to have it done all over again
4. Will no longer own the vehicle / be driving it by the time their junk breaks

To me, they say lifetime warranty and I take that to mean... It'll keep breaking for the lifetime of your vehicle!! HA!

Being poor is very frustrating because here I am paying $100 for labor (and lucky to get it done for that) to install axles that may or may not hold up. If they don't, I am stuck another $50 a shot, each time. I can't do these myself- long story, I will do a lot of things, but something like this would make me real real frustrated ... and I would probably do more harm than good in trying

Like when me and this one guy managed to free the "captive rotors" trying to save $200 they charge for the on the car lathe... That was a huge mistake. I'd pay $500 to never have to do that ever again!!! Hahaha. Not to mention that the bearings are pressed, so we caused one of those to go out soon after, as well

It'd sure be nice to just be able to spend the three bills on good solid parts from somewhere like Raxles!!! I extremely prefer to support businesses who believe in quality.

I can't wait to have money again!! I'd probably send some money to Raxles just for the hell of it

Anyway- wish me luck with my $40 a corner axles
YaY poverty

The funny thing is, too, it costs a lot to be poor. These cheap axles, I just bet they will cost me more than the good ones would have!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Another thing that affected my decision on Raxles was an experience I had w/ replacing a boot on an axle.

Replacing a boot is a nasty job, but I knew that shops around houston do this routinely, so I called one in the yellow pages and asked if they would install a new boot on my axle. I was told cost would be $20 cash.

I arrived at place w/ two young (high school age) Hispanic men working. No apparent supervision anywhere. One was the person I spoke w/ on phone and he said he would replace the boot. I asked how long and he advised 5 mins. I inquired if I could watch and he agreed.

I walked back into a real "sweatshop". They were "rebuilding" cv axles and had stacks of them laying around. There were 20-30 standing against the wall w/ new boots, looking like "rebuilt" axles.

He removed old boot w/ knife, and slammed axle against a table w/ a hole for the axle to penetrate and separated the CV joint. He scooped out old grease w/ a rag and glopped some new grease on the axle. Installed new boot, "snapped" the axle back together, and pulled boot over parts, installed boot seals. He was right about the 5 mins.

I thought to myself, this is probably where the rebuilt axles from parts stores originate, and after reboxing by someone, they become "aftermarket parts'.

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Another thing that affected my decision on Raxles was an experience I had w/ replacing a boot on an axle.

Replacing a boot is a nasty job, but I knew that shops around houston do this routinely, so I called one in the yellow pages and asked if they would install a new boot on my axle. I was told cost would be $20 cash.

I arrived at place w/ two young (high school age) Hispanic men working. No apparent supervision anywhere. One was the person I spoke w/ on phone and he said he would replace the boot. I asked how long and he advised 5 mins. I inquired if I could watch and he agreed.

I walked back into a real "sweatshop". They were "rebuilding" cv axles and had stacks of them laying around. There were 20-30 standing against the wall w/ new boots, looking like "rebuilt" axles.

He removed old boot w/ knife, and slammed axle against a table w/ a hole for the axle to penetrate and separated the CV joint. He scooped out old grease w/ a rag and glopped some new grease on the axle. Installed new boot, "snapped" the axle back together, and pulled boot over parts, installed boot seals. He was right about the 5 mins.

I thought to myself, this is probably where the rebuilt axles from parts stores originate, and after reboxing by someone, they become "aftermarket parts'.

good luck

I avoid all young people, all the time, always. I don't even like the way young women are in bed. I don't like the way anyone under thirty talks. Working on my car if you're under forty? Forget about that!!!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 AM

Well, looks like I will be tackling this job sometime early this week. . . Good news, though, I am pretty sure that I was extremely too worried about the job. It looks like a walk in the park with a curvy pleasant smelling woman compared to when we had to do the "captive rotors" - That was a horrible nightmare.

AND - when we did all of that and had everything apart, we had put anti seize on there. So it was all apart last year + there's anti seize on there .... I had no IDEA how much easier this would be than that was!! I hope ..

Is it really this easy???

Does anyone know if the axle will come through the wishbone for me on the 93?

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM

It's not a bad job. Removing axle nut and pushing old axle through hub can sometimes be problematic. I've had one snap ring that refused to release. It was jammed. I had to remove intermediate axle end (2.5 Acura TL not Accord).

I've pulled some through fork, but don't remember which ones. Fork is not hard to remove though.

good luck

Quick Reply: Axles! Making noise.. for the last 20k miles, only on turns..