General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

B

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Angry B

I have a 1996 Honda Accord 2.2L..with 170000 miles on it. Its still in good condition.
The check engine light came on about 6 months ago.. Code was Egr valve.. I replaced it cleared light.. But light came back on after 10miles different code. I have had a complete tune up, replaced several sensors, new crank shaft sensor. ON AND ON according to the code given..
Now I have cleared code without code repair given in code. Light will stay off for 10 0r 20 miles then come back on, every time a different code..
I have spent a lot of money to fix this problem so I can get inspection sticker.
Has anyone had this trouble, or know what it may be. No one in my area can fix or explain this problem.
Thanks Barry

Old 04-12-2016, 06:57 PM

If you're throwing an egr code it's likely you need to clean out the egr ports, which is fairly easy for your particular generation.

Do a youtube search for "honda egr ports cleaning".

Old 04-12-2016, 10:36 PM

The first code 6 months ago was a EGR valve..Replaced it..Then various sensor codes came up..Replaced them and so on and on.. last code was Crank shaft sensor.. replaced it ..all seals and timing belt.. now its #3 and #4 misfire.. I have checked fuel pressure,injuctors and so on ..nothing wrong so I cleared code and another one popped up.. checked that all was good cleared that and another code popped up..
changed most the sensors on car. Complete tune up .. now I clear the code when light poops on -- in 10 miles or so it comes back on with a different code..than the last one it had..
im dumfounded..

Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Can you please give us the actual codes, there might be a link that some of us could put together......on these cars code "X" usually leads to "Y" and "Z".

As stated already, cleaning the egr PORTS would be high on my list, along with being sure the normal tune up items are up to date (cap, rotor, plugs and inspect the wires). If you are a DIY'er the egr ports can be cleaned with less than $25 in parts and an hour or so of your time.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 PM

I have already replaced the EGR ... checked all vacuum lines.. did complete tune up cap rotor,wires,plugs everything. last 3 codes were misfire # 3 cylinder.. so I pulled and cleaned injectors then swapped #3 with #1 .When light came back on it said crank sensor bad.. I replaced it .timing belt and all the oil seals.
now light says # 2 and # 3 cylinders misfiring...
the code changes .. been going threw this for 6 months.. I can even clear light and when it pops back on it will read a different code... no one I can find can explain this..
thanks so much...barry

Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Please post the actual codes you are getting. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Were the EGR ports cleaned out?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM

ill have to keep new codes that show.. I dident keep past ones... That was my next step to do....remove fuel rail and clean air ports..
Thanks for the time and help....